dancingdreams25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, i am new to the forum so excuse me if i have posted in the wrong place! i am a 16-year old classical ballet dancer, however, i am also a recovering anorexic.
this year, i auditioned for a classical ballet school offering a HND- the school informed me that although i had the artistry and potential to succeed in the dance industry, i was too weak this year to cope with intense training, so i am staying at college, to do AS Levels, in Dance, Drama and English.
Assuming that i am healthy enough, i am considering auditioning next year, for HND courses at schools such as the School of Ballet Theatre UK, Ballet West, and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. These schools usually accept 16-year olds, after GCSEs, into first year, however if I got in i would start aged 17, after AS Levels. If, after completing the course and receiving the HND, I could not get work as a professional dancer, my backup plan would be to train as a dance psychotherapist or dance teacher. Would i be able to get onto a course to study a Masters' degree in dance then a postgraduate in therapy, with a HND but no A2 Levels? Are A-Levels a prerequisite for a university degree, even if i get a HND beforehand? (no A Levels are required to get on to the HND course at the ballet schools)

Thankyou
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dancingdreams25)
Hi, i am new to the forum so excuse me if i have posted in the wrong place! i am a 16-year old classical ballet dancer, however, i am also a recovering anorexic.
this year, i auditioned for a classical ballet school offering a HND- the school informed me that although i had the artistry and potential to succeed in the dance industry, i was too weak this year to cope with intense training, so i am staying at college, to do AS Levels, in Dance, Drama and English.
Assuming that i am healthy enough, i am considering auditioning next year, for HND courses at schools such as the School of Ballet Theatre UK, Ballet West, and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. These schools usually accept 16-year olds, after GCSEs, into first year, however if I got in i would start aged 17, after AS Levels. If, after completing the course and receiving the HND, I could not get work as a professional dancer, my backup plan would be to train as a dance psychotherapist or dance teacher. Would i be able to get onto a course to study a Masters' degree in dance then a postgraduate in therapy, with a HND but no A2 Levels? Are A-Levels a prerequisite for a university degree, even if i get a HND beforehand? (no A Levels are required to get on to the HND course at the ballet schools)

Thankyou
You can't go straight from a HND to a masters. You would need to top up the HND into a degree - there might already be a top up course for this (I haven't researched dance so don't know specifically) but if not, it's usually common for HND students to go directly onto year 2 or 3 of the degree.

You should be able to go from the HND to the degree without A Levels, as you have already proved yourself capable of university study by that point. Also, dance physiotherapy must be a common back up plan - so if no A levels are required for the dance HND, the unis that offer dance physiotherapy must be aware of that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads