What would YOU introduce?

Watch
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I think it's fair that we took in some of your thoughts on where the Labour Party should turn next.

In the Model House of Commons, we have been talking about ways to spend £6billion of increased revenue, how would you do it?
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cut taxes? That's always nice because then people can decide for themselves what their money should be used for rather than having a politician tell them that, while them getting nicer food for dinner would be fun, what we really need is to be able to get from London to Birmingham very slightly faster (or similar project which is irrelevant to them)
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Labour party is currently a back marker in UK politics and will not Govern this country for at least 10 years
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
The Labour party is currently a back marker in UK politics and will not Govern this country for at least 10 years
It's the model HC, mate.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
Cut taxes? That's always nice because then people can decide for themselves what their money should be used for rather than having a politician tell them that, while them getting nicer food for dinner would be fun, what we really need is to be able to get from London to Birmingham very slightly faster (or similar project which is irrelevant to them)
To be fair, HS2 could drastically improve reliability, and therefore average speed could be improved quite a lot. An overhaul of a lot of the UK rail hardware is long overdue.

But regarding taxes, I agree. Politicians should always err on the side of spend less, tax less (where possible, of course).
RedManc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Free beer for all the workers
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I think it's fair that we took in some of your thoughts on where the Labour Party should turn next.

In the Model House of Commons, we have been talking about ways to spend £6billion of increased revenue, how would you do it?
Tax cuts
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
Thankfully so
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Spend it on Defence or Tax Cuts.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we are to treat it as a one off payment and not part of any wider reforms that could add to it then i'd say defense. It's too small to make a meaningful impact on national infrastructure and though it could pay for an increase in the tax threshold its not a binary choice.

Since neither Trump nor Europe can be trusted to defend the European border from Russian aggression, i think it would be best put to use building more ships.
RedManc
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fleky6910)
Tax cuts
Mainly a cut on VAT
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RedManc)
Mainly a cut on VAT
No , maybe a cut in the normal rate of tax from 20% to x% depending on how much they can afford to cut it. Corporation tax cuts would also be nice. Maybe we could slice the top rate of tax down to!
RedManc
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No , maybe a cut in the normal rate of tax from 20% to x% depending on how much they can afford to cut it. Corporation tax cuts would also be nice. Maybe we could slice the top rate of tax down to!
Only VAT should decrease. It should be 15%
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only VAT should decrease. It should be 15%
nah
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Well, this was over two years ago, but even for now, an interesting question.

I'd invest it in housebuilding, a £6billion housing project to reduce homelessness would be my choice, just off the top of my head.
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'd invest it in housebuilding, a £6billion housing project to reduce homelessness would be my choice, just off the top of my head.
lol , didn't notice.
It's not as bad as another thread I saw. Some guy posted advice for stats coursework 8 years later
RedManc
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I would nationalise all the pubs, to ensure their survival
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
lol , didn't notice.
It's not as bad as another thread I saw. Some guy posted advice for stats coursework 8 years later
All the "I'm having a difficult time" threads with no responders
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
I would nationalise all the pubs, to ensure their survival
Let's make pubs not-for-profits so they only charge consumers enough for drinks to stay afloat.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Simple build a load of houses

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (96)
61.94%
No (59)
38.06%

Watched Threads