The Ultimate England Thread II Watch

PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not keen on the Gerrard-Henderson partnership at international level. Even though Gerrard has played DM for Liverpool this season, that is not his natural position and he doesn't play well there for England. He was just a pedestrian for most of the game against Italy, hardly offering any protection for the back four, he seemingly only passed the ball to the fullbacks. He didn't seem fit enough to last the full 90 minutes either.

England needs to drop him and Rooney for the game against Uruguay, they just slow everything down in attack. Johnson also needs to be dropped for obvious reasons, that fake footballer shouldn't be starting in a world cup game. Jones should be playing RB, he would at least offer decent defense.
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of the 14 teams we have seen so far, England had more shots on goal than any of them.

England's passing accuracy ranks 2nd, just behind Italy, but ahead of Spain, Holland and Brazil.

For passing accuracy in the opposition's half, England come out on top.
sr90
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How many times did you see Carrick play last season? He fully deserves to be sitting at home (this is coming from a Manchester United fan), if anyone should be aggrieved he's not in Brazil it's Tom Huddlestone and Gareth Barry.
jam278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trrr)
Cheers, I needed a good laugh.
Same.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Welsh Bluebird)
Carrick is like the English Pirlo. He'd have dictated that game next to Gerrard and is much better than Wilshere who is overrated. Carrick would have stretched play more and put Sturridge through more by playing in behind. Wilshere tries to be too fancy and showing off with all this Arsenal tika taka wannabe rubbish.
How do people figure that Wilshere is overrated when 95% of people do nothing but rip him to pieces given half a chance? Do people even understand the meaning of the relative term 'overrated'?

Wilshere probably finds it easier playing alongside Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla and Rosicky rather than Gerrard tbh

Also, why is Henderson getting away without a mention? Played x4 as much as Wilshere and Italy embarrassed the England midfield with their control during that time. When Wilshere came on Italy were sitting deep defending a lead and yet Jack is getting scapegoated again?

Tell you one thing, if England are going to do anything in the future it will be with Jack Wilshere in midfield, what future is there with Henderson?
Stylo92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Cole and Terry shouts are so tediously boring.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stylo92)
The Cole and Terry shouts are so tediously boring.
The strange one for me is Cole. People where saying we should have taken Cole instead of Shaw. Seems a strange idea to me, Baines is doing badly so Shaw the guy not playing shouldn't have gone. If Cole had gone he would have gone as second choice to Baines, and hence been on the bench. He'd have sat and watched the same as Shaw. Not to mention, Baines didn't do bad, it was pretty clear he was getting doubled on.
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as everyone's fit and a 100% I would keep the same team for the next game but put Sterling on the left. Uruguay will be looking at that match knowing where the weakness is, Roy needs to address it.

Too my people are overreacting. We played well. Only thing I'm critical of is the subs. Lambert should have come on for Sturridge. As soon as Sturridge went off we lost quite a bit going forward and the congested midfield was easy to defend against.

I was telling my mates a while back how it's annoying how we finally have a young and exciting attack but our defence, which used to include the likes of Neville, Cole, Campbell, Ferdinand, Terry, is now sub-par, damn shame.

I was actually pretty confident yesterday even after going 1--0 down. So far in this tournament the team on the counter has done well, we let Italy have the ball for large periods of the game but just couldn't execute as well as we are capable of on the counter. Both of their goals were crap goals to concede. I think we will batter one of Uruguay or Costa Rice though. I'm confident we'll qualify.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm still very confident. Because of Costa Rica beating Uruguay, we could actually lose to Uruguay and still go through, but I think we'll win both.

I was out last night, did Wilfred get abused for being so certain of an England win?
Thugnificent.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
I'm still very confident. Because of Costa Rica beating Uruguay, we could actually lose to Uruguay and still go through, but I think we'll win both.

don't get it twisted young blood, if joel campbell can do a ting against godin and them imagine what he can do against glen and baines

+ you still haven't met Suarez, you know he has been taking them senzu beans in preparation for this match, there is no way in the world he is not scoring a goal or two against you let alone miss that match.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Louis.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
Only thing I'm critical of is the subs
It's funny, there was so much talk about how we'd chuck on the "kids" towards the end and they'd run riot, when in fact as soon as substitutions were made we seemed to lose all attacking threat. As soon as Welbeck came off we offered nothing, and Welbeck's not exactly the guy we build our attack around. The impact from the bench was poor.

There were loads of little tactical changes and we seemed to lose all structure when subs came on and players swapped positions. I thought it was tactical indiscipline basically. I was encouraged by our first half performance but the last half hour of the match was really poor, a goal down and we played with a complete lack of urgency and barely created a thing. When Sterling faded, which was understandable as a 19 year old carrying almost all of our attacking threat, no one else stepped up. Maybe the heat/humidity took our dynamism away and we aren't good enough to break down teams at a slow tempo, I dunno.

Edit- agree on your point about the defence too. All the worry about Cahill and Jagielka against world class attackers seems justified. Balotelli showed them up abit, I wonder if Suarez will do the same. Lets hope he's unfit
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Thugnificent.)

don't get it twisted young blood, if joel campbell can do a ting against godin and them imagine what he can do against glen and baines

+ you still haven't met Suarez, you know he has been taking them senzu beans in preparation for this match, there is no way in the world he is not scoring a goal or two against you let alone miss that match.

Gotta love the engrish confidence lmao. i hope u finish bottom of the group
Lmao Joel Campbell

You're starting to sound like Jordoom
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Louis.)
It's funny, there was so much talk about how we'd chuck on the "kids" towards the end and they'd run riot, when in fact as soon as substitutions were made we seemed to lose all attacking threat. As soon as Welbeck came off we offered nothing, and Welbeck's not exactly the guy we build our attack around. The impact from the bench was poor.

There were loads of little tactical changes and we seemed to lose all structure when subs came on and players swapped positions. I thought it was tactical indiscipline basically. I was encouraged by our first half performance but the last half hour of the match was really poor, a goal down and we played with a complete lack of urgency and barely created a thing. When Sterling faded, which was understandable as a 19 year old carrying almost all of our attacking threat, no one else stepped up. Maybe the heat/humidity took our dynamism away and we aren't good enough to break down teams at a slow tempo, I dunno.

Edit- agree on your point about the defence too. All the worry about Cahill and Jagielka against world class attackers seems justified. Balotelli showed them up abit, I wonder if Suarez will do the same. Lets hope he's unfit
Agreed. The team was so disjointed after the substitutions. Barkley had a few touches when he came on then faded, same with Lallana and Wilshire to an extent. We were so easy to defend against after the subs, as they made no real impact and we didn't really seem to happen any game plan to break them down, we were still using a tired Sterling as our main driving force. If you're depending on a 19 year old in his first WC something's wrong.

I thought plan B should have been Lambert, was surprised he didn't come on.

i think we'll beat Uruguay whether they have Suarez or not. He won;t be fully fit and most likely won;t start anyway. As much as I hate him we would have been much better off with a Cahill/Terry partnership purely due to the familiarity, the communication at the back looked poor. I wouldn't define any of our back four as commanding
jam278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I was out last night, did Wilfred get abused for being so certain of an England win?
Na, he didn't.

Called on a 2-1 Italy win though.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam278)
Na, he didn't.

Called on a 2-1 Italy win though.
Thought he would've with the amount of times he said it

I said 1-1, so close
So Instinct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
England have had the most shots on target and 2nd best pass accuracy behind Italy who had 93.2%, the highest ever recorded in a World Cup game since 1966.

Based on the last match I agree we will probs win the next two games.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by So Instinct)
England have had the most shots on target and 2nd best pass accuracy behind Italy in the tournament so far.

Based on the last match I agree we will probs win the next two games.
1st in the opposition half as well
So Instinct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1st in the opposition half as well
They had 93.2%. It's the highest ever recorded in a World Cup game since 1966.
Alex Doran
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Joel Campbell is Costa Rica's best threat, a guy not judged good enough to be a substitute Arsenal striker. They spent a year complaining about the lack of depth and he was not good enough to be a 3rd striker. I am not overly worried about them. Uruguay have Lugano in the team and if Sturridge doesn't score twice I will be genuinely surprised. Suarez probably won't start and even if he does, he will not be match fit and he will be ineffective. We should easily get second in the group and it is only Columbia in the next round (probably.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1017)
79.14%
Leave (268)
20.86%

Watched Threads