The Student Room Group

OcR 21ST CENTURY C4,C5,C6

Hey everyone, i need help on precipitation reactions for identifying positive ions. Can anyone doing the ocr 21st century c4,c5,c6 exam help me out please?
Original post by ed__
Hey everyone, i need help on precipitation reactions for identifying positive ions. Can anyone doing the ocr 21st century c4,c5,c6 exam help me out please?

If it's trying to remember the different precipitate for each reaction you don't have to worry because if you need it they include a table of them at the front of the paper like they include the periodic table :smile: or is there something about them that you'd like explaining??

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the front of the exam booklet, you get the precipitation tests. Just refer to them if a question comes up and it's straight forward. Check out question 6: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137179-question-paper-unit-a172-01-modules-c4-c5-c6-higher-tier.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by LouiseDB42
If it's trying to remember the different precipitate for each reaction you don't have to worry because if you need it they include a table of them at the front of the paper like they include the periodic table :smile: or is there something about them that you'd like explaining??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh thanks i didn't know that but i also can't make sense of anything the book it saying on precipitation. For examples it says " many metal hydroxides are insoluble and precipitate out of solution when you add a alkali( i don't understand what precipitate out of solution means) and then it says "most of these metal hydroxides have a characteristic colour....if you get a coloured insoluble hydroxide you can identify the metal in the compound". If they're referring to identifying the metal in the mystery compound then the colour should be a characteristic of the metal in the mystery compound so why is the colour of the metal hydroxide relevant. Im sorry this is such a long paragraph but I'm very very confused haha:smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AmarPatel98
In the front of the exam booklet, you get the precipitation tests. Just refer to them if a question comes up and it's straight forward. Check out question 6: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137179-question-paper-unit-a172-01-modules-c4-c5-c6-higher-tier.pdf

ahh thank you:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AmarPatel98

ahh thanks i didn't know that but i also can't make sense of anything the book it saying on precipitation. For examples it says " many metal hydroxides are insoluble and precipitate out of solution when you add a alkali( i don't understand what precipitate out of solution means) and then it says "most of these metal hydroxides have a characteristic colour....if you get a coloured insoluble hydroxide you can identify the metal in the compound". If they're referring to identifying the metal in the mystery compound then the colour should be a characteristic of the metal in the mystery compound so why is the colour of the metal hydroxide relevant. Im sorry this is such a long paragraph but I'm very very confused haha
Original post by ed__
ahh thanks i didn't know that but i also can't make sense of anything the book it saying on precipitation. For examples it says " many metal hydroxides are insoluble and precipitate out of solution when you add a alkali( i don't understand what precipitate out of solution means) and then it says "most of these metal hydroxides have a characteristic colour....if you get a coloured insoluble hydroxide you can identify the metal in the compound". If they're referring to identifying the metal in the mystery compound then the colour should be a characteristic of the metal in the mystery compound so why is the colour of the metal hydroxide relevant. Im sorry this is such a long paragraph but I'm very very confused haha

Yeah i totally understand what you mean. As long as you understand when precipitates are formed and the fact that they can deduce the ions in the solution. If they ask you anything else, it'll be like the example i gave :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest