The Student Room Group

GAP year or Return to College?! Help Please

Hey Guys!
I am currently in the process of completely my A levels in Biology, Psychology and Health and Social Care and I have taken the year out next year so that I can truly decide what I want to do (I wasn't too sure when it came to applying this year and I have now decided I want to go into Occupational Therapy) The university I really want to study is Southampton with the grade requirements AAB. However, in my A levels I don't think I'll get that and I am currently aiming for ABB (Hopefully). So I was wondering whether you guys would recommend whether I should go back to college next year and fast track the Welsh Bacc to try and get another A to apply for Southampton or whether I should take a GAP year and take the year out? I was also considering resitting one of my AS results (which I didn't do too well in because I was focusing on my main subjects) to improve my grades in that.

Do you think it would be worth doing this? Any further recommendations which I hadn't thought of yet?

Thanks Guys :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
Hey Guys!
I am currently in the process of completely my A levels in Biology, Psychology and Health and Social Care and I have taken the year out next year so that I can truly decide what I want to do (I wasn't too sure when it came to applying this year and I have now decided I want to go into Occupational Therapy) The university I really want to study is Southampton with the grade requirements AAB. However, in my A levels I don't think I'll get that and I am currently aiming for ABB (Hopefully). So I was wondering whether you guys would recommend whether I should go back to college next year and fast track the Welsh Bacc to try and get another A to apply for Southampton or whether I should take a GAP year and take the year out? I was also considering resitting one of my AS results (which I didn't do too well in because I was focusing on my main subjects) to improve my grades in that.

Do you think it would be worth doing this? Any further recommendations which I hadn't thought of yet?

Thanks Guys :smile:

Hi, I assume you're a Welsh Student (due to WBQ). I'm a Welsh Student too (technically).

I recommend you go back and resit one of the modules than taking / fast-tracking WBQ. Sadly, this year is the last year for the old curriculum (which had a Pass = A / Fail = U). Next year it would be graded (A*, A, B, C, etc.), and apparently, you won't be able to fast-track it anymore.

I do strongly suggest you just go back and resit / redo one of your modules / subject.

Hope this helps.

P.S. What college are you in, by the way? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EcstaZEEH
Hi, I assume you're a Welsh Student (due to WBQ). I'm a Welsh Student too (technically).

I recommend you go back and resit one of the modules than taking / fast-tracking WBQ. Sadly, this year is the last year for the old curriculum (which had a Pass = A / Fail = U). Next year it would be graded (A*, A, B, C, etc.), and apparently, you won't be able to fast-track it anymore.

I do strongly suggest you just go back and resit / redo one of your modules / subject.

Hope this helps.

P.S. What college are you in, by the way? :smile:

oo I knew it was graded next year but I didn't know you couldn't fast track next year well that puts a downer on my plans. I suppose the only thing I can do is resit modules but my biggest worry then would be if i spend the year resitting (haha resitting modules externally is expensive :'( ) and then I don't improve my grades. I think I'll really have to have a think about this over the summer and really consider my options. I mean I know I can get onto Occupational Therapy with lower grades in different unis (you can get in uni with BCC at the lowest) but Southampton is a really nice uni, which I would love to be able to consider!

Thanks so much for the help. :smile:

Quick Reply