UN jobs Watch

Chris06
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,
I’ve been looking at the UN site and found there are tons of employment opportunities, ranging from admin to finance to security. Some of them look pretty interesting and relevant to what I’m about to do in uni.

Here's the link: https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/...y/vacancy.aspx

What do you think of the prospects by heading towards that direction? Is it worth it and does anyone have any experience in this field?

Thanks!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
NATO run a summer internship for students I believe, as well as gap year programs. Might be worth checking that out too while you're still studying.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The UN likes to have a representative workforce so getting a job in the UN set up is actually quite difficult as a British citizen. I would suggest (as was suggested to me) that you look at UK and EU civil service first and move into the UN that way (it seems to be more popular), unless of course you are going for a particular research position, etc.
Chris06
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
NATO run a summer internship for students I believe, as well as gap year programs. Might be worth checking that out too while you're still studying.
Actually I'm Australian so going into NATO would prove to be difficult if not impossible!

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
The UN likes to have a representative workforce so getting a job in the UN set up is actually quite difficult as a British citizen. I would suggest (as was suggested to me) that you look at UK and EU civil service first and move into the UN that way (it seems to be more popular), unless of course you are going for a particular research position, etc.
So I should go through civil service even for positions that are offered at the "normal" job market (i.e admin, HR, finance,etc)?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads