Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Haven't seen one knocking around, so I thought I might make one for last minute questions and discussion after the exam.
YoloSwagginz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone else feel like some of the questions asked are too obscure? Seems that way looking at the grade boundaries to receive an A

On the downside it's my birthday tomorrow and I got an exam :/
Chris654
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by YoloSwagginz)
Anyone else feel like some of the questions asked are too obscure? Seems that way looking at the grade boundaries to receive an A

On the downside it's my birthday tomorrow and I got an exam :/
Its really peeing me off, the mark schemes are so specific to each question, you don't mention at least one word and somehow you don't get any marks, and the significant figures they use on the mark schemes are even more annoying. You can tell how messed up Unit 2 is when looking at previous grade boundaries and you could get an A with less than 50/70
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chris654)
Its really peeing me off, the mark schemes are so specific to each question, you don't mention at least one word and somehow you don't get any marks, and the significant figures they use on the mark schemes are even more annoying. You can tell how messed up Unit 2 is when looking at previous grade boundaries and you could get an A with less than 50/70
Yea I know what you mean! Also I don't know why maybe I'm just burnt out but on 2010 2009 papers I do great at got like 65/70, then I tend to do worse on more recent and I swear the words they want you to write on 2010 papers differ to the ones in 2013

edit: with the significant figures the general rule is if they give you a value with 2 significant figures give your answer to 2 significant figures even if you used something like gravity which is 9.81
Chris654
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea I know what you mean! Also I don't know why maybe I'm just burnt out but on 2010 2009 papers I do great at got like 65/70, then I tend to do worse on more recent and I swear the words they want you to write on 2010 papers differ to the ones in 2013
I seriously despise AQA with a passion so screwed for tomorrow
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I seriously despise AQA with a passion so screwed for tomorrow
Read my edit above I posted a fix to the sigfigs, I don't feel I'm super screwed but I feel wether I get an A or a B depends on the paper
Chris654
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Read my edit above I posted a fix to the sigfigs, I don't feel I'm super screwed but I feel wether I get an A or a B depends on the paper
cheers man, just sometimes when they do questions that take a lot of working out they round all the time in between working and its so annoying cause i always get completely different answers at the end
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
cheers man, just sometimes when they do questions that take a lot of working out they round all the time in between working and its so annoying cause i always get completely different answers at the end
Ah yea well they would use rounded values to show in the markscheme the trick is though is don't round anything till the very end just keep using that little ans button in the calculator you doing papers ATM man?
Chris654
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah yea well they would use rounded values to show in the markscheme the trick is though is don't round anything till the very end just keep using that little ans button in the calculator you doing papers ATM man?
Well trying to, but i keep having to look at the mark scheme for nearly every question :/ Trying to memorise every single type of question and answer they will ask, probably too late to try and understand any of it.
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well trying to, but i keep having to look at the mark scheme for nearly every question :/ Trying to memorise every single type of question and answer they will ask, probably too late to try and understand any of it.
Ah man I learnt OCR chem 2 in 3 days and I'm confident that i will probably get an A

Want to do the same paper at the same time and discuss things we don't get or struggled?
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Phys2a is due a hard paper since the last 3 have been average. Just hope they don't go for new styles of questions like phys1.
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Protoxylic)
Phys2a is due a hard paper since the last 3 have been average. Just hope they don't go for new styles of questions like phys1.
I really hope you are wrong haha, but I suppose it could be a blessing since I've seen a paper have 45/70 provide grade A so if this paper is really hard we could expect to see something like that
Chris654
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's alright man I'm taking a break atm cant be bothered haha nothing is going in :')
If its a hard paper i'm screwed even more Any last minute revision tips? Like what do you guys think the 6 marker will be this year
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's alright man I'm taking a break atm cant be bothered haha nothing is going in :')
If its a hard paper i'm screwed even more Any last minute revision tips? Like what do you guys think the 6 marker will be this year

Okay here
09 jan F=kl
09 June f=kl
10 jan stress/strain
10 Jun energy transformation GPE-KE
11jan stationary wave formation
11jun dbl slit lambda
12jan lambda diffraction grating
12jun f=kl
13jan stationary wave
13jun newtons laws

Looking at that I'd say it's unpredictable but I feel it will either be Young's modulus or a diffraction grating / slit experiment
joshw137
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What does everyone think is most likely to come up?
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joshw137)
What does everyone think is most likely to come up?
That's a pretty wide question man just revise everything haha waves and the critical angle always come up I'm pretty sure and something from materials will but trying to guess mechanics is hard
joshw137
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's a pretty wide question man just revise everything haha waves and the critical angle always come up I'm pretty sure and something from materials will but trying to guess mechanics is hard

haha Cheers :P by the way out of curiosity, how did you find unit 1?
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joshw137)
haha Cheers :P by the way out of curiosity, how did you find unit 1?
I found it alright except I messed up my first value on the first electricity question so if they disallow ECF I could be a bit screwed, other then that it went cool, I much prefer mechanics tbh man
Lynku555
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My tips for you are:
- Memorise the Photo-electric effect
- Memorise Line Spectra
- Memorise the formation of a stationary wave
- Memorise the polarisation of a Micro-wave using a probe and a metal grille
- Understand the difference between EMF and PD along with Kirchhoff's laws
- Know everything in terms of drawing a circuit and knowing what to deduce from what's been displayed
- Definitions

Easy A...
YoloSwagginz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lynku555)
My tips for you are:
- Memorise the Photo-electric effect
- Memorise Line Spectra
- Memorise the formation of a stationary wave
- Memorise the polarisation of a Micro-wave using a probe and a metal grille
- Understand the difference between EMF and PD along with Kirchhoff's laws
- Know everything in terms of drawing a circuit and knowing what to deduce from what's been displayed
- Definitions

Easy A...
You trolling? this is the mechanics section haha :P solid tips for unit 1 though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (185)
38.38%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.71%
Look for a job (16)
3.32%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.36%
Take a year out (84)
17.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.81%

Watched Threads