vanessawills
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys I was looking through the internet since i was unsure about how to write my introduction for the A2 philosophy OCR exam coming up!

I read on several websites that in the introduction I have to start off my essay with my 'thesis' and according to the internet it should something like this:

'in this essay I will argue that.....'

Does this have to be done in order for my thesis to be clearly stated? because I find that the introduction looks slightly like GCSE level? could someone please explain this to me properly!
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't do A levels, let alone philosophy A level, so I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but for my uni philosophy essays I usually summarise my conclusions in my opening paragraph. Rather than using "I" I'd go for "this essay will set out/ aim to demonstrate/ explore how" etc.

If you don't get an answer it's probably best you check with your teacher.
CheesusCrust
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My teacher (and once I saw it on the OCR mark scheme) said that we should never use 'I' in the exam.. Never say 'I will argue..' but something like 'the argument that x is the case is better as..'.

For the intro I usually do a sentence/two about the issues, briefly mention what the views are and 'my' argument.
vanessawills
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
oh okay thank you guys!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads