small changes that make a big difference? Watch

clicker9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm rather insecure about drastically changing the way I look, but would like to try to do a few minor things to improve my appearance (clothes, makeup, hair, whatever) this year. What types of things aren't that noticeable, but would make a difference?
Squelchy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dieting/working out.
lil one
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
healthy eating, excercise, a new haircut maybe add colour
smilee172
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
accessories a new hairstyle (not necessarily a new hairCUT but wear your hair differently - if you normally have it down, wear it up, or vice versa), nice jewellery could make a difference? different necklaces to go with different outfits, or some beads or something. accessories are the cheapest/easiest/subtlest way to 'redefine' yourself so to speak but if you want something more bold you could get a new haircut? i don't really have a clue lol x
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
assuming you're a girl, I find plucking your eyebrows makes a huge difference!

Polished shoes, fun accessories also make a diff.
Triplet1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
straighting your hair or curling it, get it cut in layers, wearing eyeliner, plucking your eyebrows.

crazyexcitedrandomer01
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Squelchy)
Dieting/working out.
yeah this should make the biggest change to everywhere- you will generally look much healthier
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me its things like:

Getting my hair done (this week Ive gone from being blonde to being dark red and I love it!)
Using fake tan/sunbed- just gives a healthy glow, makes me feel better
Buying an item of clothing in a colour that I normally wouldnt- for example previously I would never have touched red but now I find it really suits me
Changing your eyeshadow colour
Using some cute accessories like beads, thin belts etc

It really depends on how different you want to go though. I think everyone needs a change every now and again.
laurenlauren
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds SO dull, and a month ago i'dve raised my eyes at it but i've tried improving my diet, eating fresh fruit as if it were a medicine (so you have to eat it at certain times) and it really helps - you'll feel better for it and actually crave it after a while. Drinking lots of water too. Boring i know but when you feel better for it you'll be more confident.
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've tried a few things in the past few months,and people noticed lol

1) plucking your eyebrows. people notice this so much.
2) highlights or a new hair colour, if you've got dark hair, go lighter etc, people notice!
3) different hair style. it could be a side parting or a centre parting or wearing it up or down.
4) if you normally wear skirts, wear jeans or vice versa etc.
5) add a splash of colour to whatever you wear. so if you're wearing jeans or something, use a yellow coloured scarf as a belt.
6) if you're a comfortable type person when it comes to clothes, if only once, wear a pair of heels (they don't have to be sky high, but it'll work)
7) tone up or lose weight or become healthy
8) make up.
9) use accessories - alice bands, bracelets, necklaces etc
10) if your hair is striaght, curl it or vice versa.
11) paint your nails a nice cheerful colour.
12) stand straight. you'll look better than if you normally slouch.
13) wear nice underwear, when you feel good underneath, it shows.

goodluck
smilee172
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
gaining some new-found confidence will help, i think with that may come smal changes in your appearance that you won;t even realise you're doing!
lil one
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
buying a new pair of jeans also makes me feel like a new person lol
smilee172
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lil_one)
buying a new pair of jeans also makes me feel like a new person lol
buying myself a new pair of jeans makes me angry because i then get home and realise that i don't actually like them and for me I can never find the perfect-fitting pair of jeans! grr lol
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if you get one,and you're pretty good with scissors,sewing etc, or knows a tailor or someone who does, let them nip and tuck it for you. i do that sometimes.
Faraday
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love my mascara!...:love: it does make somewhat of a difference.
blackcurrant
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A slight tan, just enough to give your skin a glow
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
or use bronzer if you don't wanna tan
clicker9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I'm definatly going to try some of those things. Getting a few accessories and some different colored clothes shouldn't be so hard!

For hairstyles, what are some simple ones? I normally have my hair in braids (either one down my back or in two pigtails) and occasionally just loose, although its long so it gets tangled easily. Also, maybe I should get a few highlights? Costs way too much to get it done professionally, but is the chance of messing up totally very big with one of those little kits?

What is the best way to do eyebrows? I'm always afraid of ruining them or getting them uneven looking. How do you best shape them?

Now to the hard thing... Working out. This is by far the best thing to do to look better, yet one that is impossibly hard! See, I have a love of junk food. I'm fairly good about going to the gym or going out running, but I'm terrible at eating well. Its just so tempting to buy a bag of chips, or bake a batch of cookies... Anyone know how to stop that? How can I get motivated enough?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what i do with eyebrows is i use a nail clipper or small scissors and just cut around the edges to make them look a certain shape. just remember the hair should start from the inner corner of the eye,should peak a little after the middle and not go over the end of the eyelid.use a pencil to do this.the peak should correspond to where the pencil falls it tilted at the side of your nose.

eyebrow shaping mine look similar..

the key i find to cravings is that when i'm peckish,i can get away with something that's crunchy or hard,and then not feel hungry. so i keep carrots around,breadstsicks etc. that are crunchy. also drink loads of water.and if you can a cup of herbal tea,it works. and if it's dancing then dance for a few mins every day,and that's your work out. it can be simple things. i read also that fidgeting is a good way of losing weight lol oh and sugar free gum helps also... goodluck
Louher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you get your eyebrows waxed and shaped initially at a beauty salon (would cost roughly £6-£10) you can just upkeep the shape by using tweezers to pluck out the odd hairs. I had myn done years ago and i've managed to keep the shape by plucking them myself I have quite thick dark eyebrows as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.31%
Leave (257)
20.69%

Watched Threads