The Student Room Group

A*AA

About to take a gap year, is A*AA considered 'good'? Would I have no problem getting an interview for most med schools?

Thanks, btw I go to a very good school, where A*AA is probably average.
anyone?
A number of factors have to be taken in consideration alongside your grades. They're a good set of grades supposing they're the right subject combination, however your Personal Statement / extra-curriculars / experiences / UKCAT will also play a role in deciding whether or not you get through to interview stages. After that it's all down to you to show the interviewers what you can bring to the table. Good-luck.
Reply 3
Lets hear your extra-curriculars, voluntaries and UKAT
Original post by slg60
Lets hear your extra-curriculars, voluntaries and UKAT

Let's say they were considered 'good'.

I.e. last admissions cycle, I had very good e-c, sufficient volunteering- care home, charity shop, lots of w. experience, and a very good UKCAT.

So just, I'm talking about grades with all other things satisfied.
Reply 5
The grades are fine but tbh once you've satisfied aaa it's more about everything else which you need like gcse's (in some cases) ukcat work experience personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by locomotive99
Let's say they were considered 'good'.

I.e. last admissions cycle, I had very good e-c, sufficient volunteering- care home, charity shop, lots of w. experience, and a very good UKCAT.

So just, I'm talking about grades with all other things satisfied.

What other Extra Curricular activities do you have?

They look for a "well rounded" applicant. Teamwork, leadership, public speaking and teaching are all important qualities to display.
Reply 7
For some courses it will be merely sufficient (Cambridge, B'ham, Edinburgh and a few others ask for A*AA) and for others it will be one single grade above the minimum requirement of AAA. Only Barts cares about UCAS points, and A*AA is too low for them. So you could well have problems getting an interview as you are on the same level playing field as everyone else academically, and will need to make sure every other aspect of your application is top notch. I know people with A*A*A*A* that didnt get a single interview first time around. If as you say you are at a good school where good results are the average (I was too) be very wary of complacency in your application, particularly anything that can appear to be showing a sense of entitlement. I was given shocking PS advise by school, had I followed it I would have been lucky to get any interviews. Do your own homework and make sure you apply tactically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending