The Student Room Group

Chances of Oxbridge for Scottish students?

I've just sat my 5 Higher's:
English
History
German
Geography
Administration

And S6 I'm going to be doing:
Advanced Higher English
Advanced Higher History
Higher Biology
Higher Modern Studies
Higher Art & Design

I will likely drop a few Higher's at results so that I can have an easier year. Say I was to get AAAAB or 5A's and then applied would I have a good chance for Law?

Do they always give interviews?

What bands are they wanting usually (at Cam?) hopefully I can obtain at least two A1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3 Advanced Highers at AAA
You need 3 Advanced highers to make the equivalent 3 a-levels. Apart from that your chances are the same as everyone else.
1. The chances for Oxbridge entry, and especially for Law, are not promising for students who cannot research the chances for Oxbridge entry***.
2. You know that this will complicate your practicing in Scotland, if that is a concern...

*** it is one thing if you are Tunisian or Venezualan. The Scottish higher requirements are given on the webpage.
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
You need 3 Advanced highers to make the equivalent 3 a-levels. Apart from that your chances are the same as everyone else.

Or 2AH and 1 H all at A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cambio wechsel
1. The chances for Oxbridge entry, and especially for Law, are not promising for students who cannot research the chances for Oxbridge entry***.
2. You know that this will complicate your practicing in Scotland, if that is a concern...

*** it is one thing if you are Tunisian or Venezualan. The Scottish higher requirements are given on the webpage.

I have done my research, I know the ER I just wanted to hear from anyone who had obtained an offer of would actually give me some insight but thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
I have done my research, I know the ER I just wanted to hear from anyone who had obtained an offer of would actually give me some insight but thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be quite honest, I don't see the point of studying a Law degree down south if you want to practice in Scotland as you'd need to do a conversion degree.

You should look at Dundee as they offer the Dual Qualifying degree in their Law faculty, which gives you the LLB for Scots Law practice and the LLB for English Law practice!

As for Dundee, they want AABB or AABBB in the first sitting. They have an amazing Law School! I'd recommend Dundee if Oxbridge goes a bit Pete Tong and you don't get in! I went to the open day for Law and would go in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity.
Original post by kmurdoch97
To be quite honest, I don't see the point of studying a Law degree down south if you want to practice in Scotland as you'd need to do a conversion degree.

You should look at Dundee as they offer the Dual Qualifying degree in their Law faculty, which gives you the LLB for Scots Law practice and the LLB for English Law practice!

As for Dundee, they want AABB or AABBB in the first sitting. They have an amazing Law School! I'd recommend Dundee if Oxbridge goes a bit Pete Tong and you don't get in! I went to the open day for Law and would go in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity.

Yeah I want to practice in England.[ :smile: I'm applying for Strathclyde and Aberdeen as they offer dual qualifying :smile: AAAAB for Strath AABBB for Aberdeen I think. Depending on my grades I'd apply to the likes of Oxford just to fill the space and it's better to apply and have that chance, than to never apply and wonder 'what could have been?' and also with the likes of an Oxford degree you're more likely to be employed in the likes of East Central London where I'd love to work - not necessarily as a Solicitor, I'm thinking about going into Investment Banking as I feel it would be such an exciting and lively career with a fantastic city surrounding! I will apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow too just for Scots law as they are highly ranked and I love the uni's. I can always do the conversion, like you said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I may consider applying for Dundee if I don't get my grades for down south!

Posted from TSR Mobile
]I'm thinking about going into Investment Banking as I want to sell my soul for a big paycheck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fixed that for you :smile:
Original post by Pennyarcade
Fixed that for you sarcastically, with a dash of stereotyping :smile:

Touché

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Are Scottish students held in slightly higher esteem for the top 6 unis down south? It's obviously known that Advanced higher are a bit harder than A-Levels, especially with the fact we only do it over a year, and that we do dissertations in subjects like Economics and Modies. For talking sake would 5 Highers at AAAAA (No A band 1s) and 3 Advanced Highers at AAA (No A band 1s) give a good chance of getting into Warwick, LSE, UCL etc with an up to scratch personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I've been looking at English unis entry requirements and maybe its just me but they seem really unfair. I mean I looked at Chemistry at Durham and saw that they require a minimum of 5As at Higher AND 3 As at Advanced highers with an A band 1. Realistically almost no one achieves this so this deter Scottish students further from applying down south other than the extra £27k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Passwords
I've been looking at English unis entry requirements and maybe its just me but they seem really unfair. I mean I looked at Chemistry at Durham and saw that they require a minimum of 5As at Higher AND 3 As at Advanced highers with an A band 1. Realistically almost no one achieves this so this deter Scottish students further from applying down south other than the extra £27k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr! Their requirements are same for History as well. Luckily, my course was joint honours in History and Modern Languages, so the entry requirements were slightly lower (AAAAB + AAA at AH). I applied (and was subsequently rejected), however, I doubt I would have firmed it anyway owing to tuition fees and all dat shizzle). :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I want to practice in England.[ :smile: I'm applying for Strathclyde and Aberdeen as they offer dual qualifying :smile: AAAAB for Strath AABBB for Aberdeen I think. Depending on my grades I'd apply to the likes of Oxford just to fill the space and it's better to apply and have that chance, than to never apply and wonder 'what could have been?' and also with the likes of an Oxford degree you're more likely to be employed in the likes of East Central London where I'd love to work - not necessarily as a Solicitor, I'm thinking about going into Investment Banking as I feel it would be such an exciting and lively career with a fantastic city surrounding! I will apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow too just for Scots law as they are highly ranked and I love the uni's. I can always do the conversion, like you said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glasgow's overrated for Law IMO, just full of your typical posh elitists who only go just because it's a Russel Group uni.
Edinburgh is where i'm hoping to go to study Philosophy & Theology and after that I'm doing my LLB as I feel doing a degree first would suit me better.
Glasgow's overrated for Law IMO, just full of your typical posh elitists who only go just because it's a Russel Group uni.
Edinburgh is where i'm hoping to go to study Philosophy & Theology and after that I'm doing my LLB as I feel doing a degree first would suit me better.

You know this because...? :tongue: How do you know that Edinburgh isn't just the same? :lol:

To the OP, I wouldn't recommend doing 2 AHs and 3 Highers in S6. The thing is, once you have your Higher grades in S5, Oxbridge won't ask you for another 3 Highers. Let's say, for instance, you get AAABB then I highly doubt any uni will ask you for another Higher. If you get 4As or 5As then they definitely won't ask you for another Higher. You might want to email the Oxbridge unis after you receive your results on whether or not they'd like an additional Higher alongside your AHs.

But, yeah, generally speaking, if you end up getting the grades you expect, I might drop a Higher or two. Also, if you want to practice in England, then there are also other fantastic unis which you could apply to. :smile: Of course, consider the fact that you'll also be paying if you go to England but I feel like that shouldn't be a huge deterrent if you're getting great education and potentially, a fantastic job. :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
You know this because...? :tongue: How do you know that Edinburgh isn't just the same? :lol:

To the OP, I wouldn't recommend doing 2 AHs and 3 Highers in S6. The thing is, once you have your Higher grades in S5, Oxbridge won't ask you for another 3 Highers. Let's say, for instance, you get AAABB then I highly doubt any uni will ask you for another Higher. If you get 4As or 5As then they definitely won't ask you for another Higher. You might want to email the Oxbridge unis after you receive your results on whether or not they'd like an additional Higher alongside your AHs.

But, yeah, generally speaking, if you end up getting the grades you expect, I might drop a Higher or two. Also, if you want to practice in England, then there are also other fantastic unis which you could apply to. :smile: Of course, consider the fact that you'll also be paying if you go to England but I feel like that shouldn't be a huge deterrent if you're getting great education and potentially, a fantastic job. :smile:

Thank you for getting back to me! I will do, so far I've done my 2AH and 2 of my highers since being back and thoroughly enjoyed them, particularly history! I'm wanting to drop my other higher, art, as I feel it's rather difficult to obtain a great grade without being Picasso and also it was always a chaotic rush at the beginning of exams to finish off and I'm not keen on this at all. I'm thinking I will end up doing 2AH 1H after August hopefully! Many others are doing the same. I will email Oxbridge tonight 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quick-use

I know people that are doing Law at Glasgow right now and they say it's not that great hahaha
I know people that are doing Law at Glasgow right now and they say it's not that great hahaha

On the other hand, I know people who are studying Law there and love it...:smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
On the other hand, I know people who are studying Law there and love it...:smile:

Yeah, I guy I know loves it and would stay there forever If he could. I love Glasgow's campus though, It's like a replica of Hogwarts :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending