ct1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I study this course and will be starting my second year in September, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask
Elephantlover
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Although I don't have much time left until I start the course this year, I was wondering if there is any books in particular it would be worth getting and pre-reading before I go. I really would like to get some names and theories in my head before hand, having a gap year has made me worried about coming back to into learn again!

Thanks
ct1992
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Elephant Lover,
Thanks for your message. I am sure there will be others who have not studied in a while so try not to worry too much; it’s good that you are thinking ahead! I have posted below some recommended readings from our first year reading list to give you an idea of some of the concepts /ideas you will be looking at as a starting point.

In the first year you will study 4 modules see below for suggestions, I have included a few keys readings for each module. You do not have to buy all these books; you could choose one title from each if you like.

1) Learning and Thinking:
Smidt, S. (2010) Introducing Vygotsky. London: Routledge.
Wood, D. (2007) How Children Think & Learn. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
2) Culture and Identity:
Lawler, S. (2008) Identity: Sociological Perspectives. London: Routledge.
Skeggs, B. (2003) Class, Self, Culture. London: Routledge
3) Historical and Philosophical Perspectives:
Chitty, C. (2004) Education Policy in Britain. London: Palgrave MacMillian.
Gingell, J. & Winch, C. (2008) Philosophy of Education: The Key Concepts. London: Routledge

4) Creativity and Learning:
National Advisory Committee on Creative and Cultural Education. (1999). All Our Futures: Creative and Cultural Education. London: DFEE: sirkenrobinson.com/skr/pdf/allourfutures.pdf
An analysis of research and literature on CREATIVITY IN EDUCATION Report prepared for the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority by Anna Craft March 2001: www.euvonal.hu/images/creativity_report.pdf

I hope you find this useful and let me know if you need anything else.

Best wishes
izzy26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ct1992)
Hi, I study this course and will be starting my second year in September, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask
Hello,

Thanks for posting the reading list, I have spent numerous hours searching the web for the following books. Could you please recommend me, where I can get them from?

Thank you

Wood, D. (2007) How Children Think & Learn. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
2) Culture and Identity:
Lawler, S. (2008) Identity: Sociological Perspectives. London: Routledge.
Skeggs, B. (2003) Class, Self, Culture. London: Routledge
3) Historical and Philosophical Perspectives:
Chitty, C. (2004) Education Policy in Britain. London: Palgrave MacMillian.
Gingell, J. & Winch, C. (2008) Philosophy of Education: The Key Concepts. London: Routledge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Goldsmiths, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Saturday 5 October Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19
  • Goldsmiths, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening - Wednesday 20 November Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads