Your favourite way to cook steak and salmon?

Watch
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What are your favourite ways to cook the following?

i) Steaks.
ii) Salmons.

Include information on the cut you prefer to use, types of marinade and how you like to cook it.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
on the bar-bee-cue
sasunerd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Salmon on the grill or baked is just flippin deliciouuuussss.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
I like my steak to be ribeye only, not into any other cuts. Usually like to rub some butter, a bit of sea salt and black pepper on one side and the other side to be butter only. Then grilled on a coal or wood fired BBQ. Like it done to medium-rare and served with a side of garlic mashed root vegetables and steamed broccoli. No gravy please.

For salmon, I like the fillet to be between the pelvic and pectoral fins. I generally like it to be rubbed with lemon and dill butter, then placed on a bed of sliced lemon and baked in an oven till it is medium. I like it to be served with a side of mashed swede and steamed seasonal vegetables. Some lemon and dill cream gravy for the vegetables.
FireGarden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
During the time it takes you to read this post, I could have cooked a steak to my liking.
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love Sirlion cooked to medium, no sauces or anything, they just ruin it :drool:
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not a big steak fan but salmon - I put the salmon steak in tin foil, chop up some chili and garlic, put those on top of the salmon, squeeze lemon juice over the salmon and wrap it up in the tin foil. Cook in the oven for I can't remember how long. Until it's cooked. The tin foil keeps all the flavour in & it ends up flaky and soft with a bit of spice - delicious.
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
What are your favourite ways to cook the following?

i) Steaks.
ii) Salmons.

Include information on the cut you prefer to use, types of marinade and how you like to cook it.
Steak
Firstly I always eat Wagyu, depending on cut I massage a small amount of olive oil followed by sea salt and black pepper then gently cook to medium rare within a few minutes.

Salmon
I don't cook it, I buy smoked salmon and eat it out of the packet :lol:
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always have my sirloin or fillet steaks cooked medium rare.

I don't like salmon
Alfissti
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yasmin25)

I don't like salmon
Why not?

or rather is it just salmon or fish in general?
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not?

or rather is it just salmon or fish in general?
Nah I love fish in general, especially peppered mackerel but I dunno what it is about salmon, just always found it kinda tasteless.
FrankJaegar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just eat them.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
(Original post by tehFrance)
Steak
Firstly I always eat Wagyu, depending on cut I massage a small amount of olive oil followed by sea salt and black pepper then gently cook to medium rare within a few minutes.

Salmon
I don't cook it, I buy smoked salmon and eat it out of the packet :lol:
Real Wagyu or those wannabe ones?

Hope those smoked salmon comes from Norway
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most important thing by far is to get it down to room temperature before frying. I used to make the mistake of taking it from the fridge and frying from there and it is terrible. Wrap it in foil and leave it on the side, in this weather it will probably get slightly warmer than room temperature which is better.

I don't season it with salt. I get a beef stock pot and boil some water in a pot, when it's bubbling I drop the stock cube in, leave it for a minute or two then use it to glaze the steak when it's cooked. Tastes so good, saw Marco Pierre White do it.

Also oil the steak and not the pan.

I'm having these for my tea.

tehFrance
Report 6 years ago

Real wagyu of course

No they're from Scotland
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ribeye and hanger are my cuts of choice, steak must always be brought to room temperature before cooking. Cast iron pan/griddle over maximum heat for as long as it takes to get the pan to smoking heat and then a bit longer, just to make sure it's as hot as possible. Olive oil and sea salt rubbed on the steak (pepper later) and into the pan. Cook on each side for as long as it takes to reach the desired level of char then out of the pan, normally about one minute to ninety seconds per side for rare/blue in a decent thickness steak. For rump or other cuts with fat down the edge, hold the steak on its side until the fat is rendered down.

Rest for as long as the meat was cooking for plus an extra couple of minutes. Season with additional sea salt and pepper. Spoon over pan juices and serve with chips (thin or thick, as long as they're proper ones).

(Original post by Gjaykay)
I love Sirlion cooked to medium, no sauces or anything, they just ruin it :drool:
You've cooked it to medium, already ruined
Scumbaggio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
REALLY want to try those Wagyu steaks.

I usually go for sirloin from the butcher or the vac packed steaks from the supermarket, never bother with those normal supermarket steaks as they are crap. Sometimes I'll have rump.

I get the pan as hot as possible (NO OIL IN THE PAN), cover the steaks in grapeseed oil, salt and white pepper. ALWAYS SEASON GENEROUSLY.

usually around 4 minutes each side on full blast then add garlic and butter for the last minute of cooking.

Rest for 5-10 mins.

I rarely cook salmon but usually either bake it in foil or poach it.
Scumbaggio
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Ribeye and hanger are my cuts of choice, steak must always be brought to room temperature before cooking. Cast iron pan/griddle over maximum heat for as long as it takes to get the pan to smoking heat and then a bit longer, just to make sure it's as hot as possible. Olive oil and sea salt rubbed on the steak (pepper later) and into the pan. Cook on each side for as long as it takes to reach the desired level of char then out of the pan, normally about one minute to ninety seconds per side for rare/blue in a decent thickness steak. For rump or other cuts with fat down the edge, hold the steak on its side until the fat is rendered down.

Rest for as long as the meat was cooking for plus an extra couple of minutes. Season with additional sea salt and pepper. Spoon over pan juices and serve with chips (thin or thick, as long as they're proper ones).

You've cooked it to medium, already ruined
I reckon that as long as you still have some moisture and pink colour somewhere a steak is not ruined! A well done steak is of course totally pointless.

I have my steaks rare and THICK, if I were to cook one of the steaks I get from the butcher for 1.5 minutes a side then it would be even less cooked than blue, what you're having can't be that thick.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Scumbaggio)
REALLY want to try those Wagyu steaks.
They are in Aldi right now. On sale, only £7 a steak.

Also agree with resting it.
Scumbaggio
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
They are in Aldi right now. On sale, only £7 a steak.

Also agree with resting it.
Yea you have to rest it really, definitely makes it easier to cut and chew.

Gonna head to aldi tomorrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.27%
Less motivated (189)
68.73%

Watched Threads