The Student Room Group

Do people actually use door stoppers for freshers week?

So you can be more sociable? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

No.
Nah, not that I've heard of.
Yes!

We did anyway, because we're a friendly bunch.
If I lived in halls, I would have used a door stop. On the inside of the door, to stop people opening it. :colonhash:
no lol.
No, we just used stuff to keep doors open. Boxes, boots, slight lump in the carpet. That being said, we just congregated in one bedroom and if anyone left they just walked back in.
Yep, great way to be sociable. Im one of only 2 in my block of 12 with a ps3/wii/TV so great way to show I was free to watch a film, play FIFA/mario kart etc.

I would definitely recommend getting to know ppl over the freshers week(s) as after a little while mini friendships start to form and you definitely dont want to be in the situation with no close friends..
For the door to the flat? or bedroom?
Not really to be honest, although we often stayed in our flat's combined kitchen/lounge for quite a bit of the day.
we all did, was a good was to tell people you are in.

It's a kind of 'must' to keep your door open constantly over the first few days in halls just to say hi to people.
We did.I bought three for £1 on eBay, and I gave two to others
Reply 12
Nope. Then again, the two people I got in halls weren't exactly the sort of people I enjoyed hanging out with anyway. :frown:
Yep, one of my flatmates always had his door open even after freshers so whenever I went to the toilet I would have to inevitably pass his door and strike up a hello or some chat, very nice.
Yes, but sometimes the doors are fire doors and a normal door stop just isn't enough.

Also some people "meet" here or on Facebook pages. Check the offer holder thread for your university to see if there is a Facebook page.
Reply 15
Original post by Mad Vlad
If I lived in halls, I would have used a door stop. On the inside of the door, to stop people opening it. :colonhash:

I have to go to Church in a minute, and confess. And I'm not even a Catholic. But I never thought I would +1 Mad Vlad.
Original post by Mad Vlad

This is something I'd most likely do :lol:, even though I consider myself to be fairly sociable.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
This is something I'd most likely do :lol:, even though I consider myself to be fairly sociable.

You obviously aren't then.
After the first couple weeks, no not at all.

But at least for the first couple weeks, yeah loads of people used one to open their fire doors..

I think it only works if your halls is set out in big corridors of rooms, rather than small flats.

In flats, you generally don't have fire doors on the bedrooms so don't need one.

Clearly not everyone used them, but I'd take one just incase.
Yeah we all bought door stops and had a bedroom doors open the majority of the time during first semester, it did make us a lot more sociable with each other.

Quick Reply

Latest