Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My sister is 21 years old and suffers from a severe disability called Muscular Dystrophy. This means that as well as being physically immobile (she's on a wheelchair), she also has a very limited brain capacity.

As she grows older she is finding it more and more difficult to pass her time, and it's getting frustrating for my family to give her constant company and attention. If she is on her own, the only thing she can do is watch TV as she doesn't have any other interests. She cannot read a book as, although she can read, she has trouble understanding things as well as not really being that interested.

Can anyone please recommend something she can do in her spare time? It's very difficult I know, but we have to think of something fast before she gets bored and depressed or we have to devote the whole day to sitting next to her talking! Will anything be able to distract her from requiring all this attention?

Please no insensitive remarks!! Rep for a good idea!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can she play computer games?

ReputationRep:
    How about cards games on the computer? Ones like solitaire are fairly straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    My sister is 21 years old and suffers from a severe disability called Muscular Dystrophy. This means that as well as being physically immobile (she's on a wheelchair), she also has a very limited brain capacity.

As she grows older she is finding it more and more difficult to pass her time, and it's getting frustrating for my family to give her constant company and attention. If she is on her own, the only thing she can do is watch TV as she doesn't have any other interests. She cannot read a book as, although she can read, she has trouble understanding things as well as not really being that interested.

Can anyone please recommend something she can do in her spare time? It's very difficult I know, but we have to think of something fast before she gets bored and depressed or we have to devote the whole day to sitting next to her talking! Will anything be able to distract her from requiring all this attention?

What about audio tapes of books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Can she play computer games?
    Yeah, that's one thing I've thought off. It's a good idea, but she can't spend too long playing them. They have to be very simple and not look babyish either (she has a lot of pride it seems!) She also gets tired easily, and since her other interest in watching TV, it seems a shame that she should spend all her time in front of a screen.

ReputationRep:
    Painting/drawing? It's creative and very fun, and who knows she might be a great artist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    How about cards games on the computer? Ones like solitaire are fairly straightforward.
    Even I can't play that! rofl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Painting/drawing? It's creative and very fun, and who knows she might be a great artist!
    She can draw stick men...lol!!

ReputationRep:
    Puzzler books? Word searches?

Perhaps you should go down the book route, but find a niche that she might like - I find a lot of books boring, maybe she just hasn't find the genre she likes yet.

What about audio books? There is a huge selection available in most libraries or through special catalogues. You can get new ones delivered every week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Puzzler books? Word searches?

Perhaps you should go down the book route, but find a niche that she might like - I find a lot of books boring, maybe she just hasn't find the genre she likes yet.
    She likes word searches - thats a good idea! And dot to dot, and colouring by numbers.

You see her mental age is very very young in terms of her intelligence and ability to grasp simple ideas. She can only just about add things using her fingers.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what the severity of your sisters disability is, so I dont know whether this suggestion is feasable. But I've seen people in wheelchairs still managing to participate in mainstream sports especially engineered and adapted for the physically disabled - basketball, athletics, badminton, etc, etc.

ReputationRep:
    A young friend of mine "collects" images from the internet in themes - pigs, fairies. All you have to be able to do is save into a folder (which, when taught and learnt, is fairly simple). I know that's another screen activity though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

Can't go wrong with a bit of music... she might be a closet rock enthusiast or classic or whatever It takes no effort to listen to music and she might even be able to go to concert/gigs if they have disabled accomadation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakooga)
    What about audio books? There is a huge selection available in most libraries or through special catalogues. You can get new ones delivered every week.
    Yer, i was thinking about that. The LOTR series will keep her busy for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Awww you lot are so great! Thanks...I will certainly try some of your ideas. Keep them coming

ReputationRep:
    try taking her to a local park and let her enjoy fresh air and if she asks to go back tell her your staying a bit longer.She will hopefully adapt to going places then

I work as a bingo caller and quite a few people with varied levels of disability come and play. Someone could mark the numbers off for her if she can't manage to do it herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    try taking her to a local park and let her enjoy fresh air and if she asks to go back tell her your staying a bit longer.She will hopefully adapt to going places then
    That's good but it's not something she can regularly do. And anyway, the whole point of this is so that we get some free time hehehe...

ReputationRep:
    What about sculpting - she might enjoy some making some clay models or something, and painting things like that might be easier than other types of painting and drawing - don't have to be so accurate.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.