The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Adhsur
My sister is 21 years old and suffers from a severe disability called Muscular Dystrophy. This means that as well as being physically immobile (she's on a wheelchair), she also has a very limited brain capacity.

Hi
I hope this is not too insensitive a question, but are her learning disabilities due to her muscular dystropy or a different disability? I am just wondering, because I know a couple of people with muscular dystropy who don't have any kind of learning disability, but maybe they have a different type?

Is she able to use her hands / arms?

Rosie xx
Reply 21
if she likes TV she'll like the cinama's, concerts, shows etc and pantamines (if thats how u spell it) if she doesnt mind being left alone u could leave her at the show wiv a minder and do ure own thing. Also how about getting her to meet other ppl wiv similar conditions :cool:
Reply 22
corey
a book on the pros and cons of Euthanasia

you jerk! That was a horrible, terrible thing to say.
corey
a book on the pros and cons of Euthanasia

Corey have you been mixing your drugs? I know you intended to be malicious but I didn't expect it to be that nasty :mad: After a while your weird/twisted sense of humour no longer becomes amusing.
Reply 24
waiting2smile
Corey have you been mixing your drugs? I know you intended to be malicious but I didn't expect it to be that nasty :mad:
As per usual, my dry humour isn't appreciated.
Reply 25
Jigsaw puzzles??
Reply 26
Im not sure how serious the condition is but if she is clever enough to do crosswords, why not teach her to make a website or webpage. She can learn basic html and develop her ability over time. Maybe she can write about her interests or keep a diary of her day. And post the website on this forum so we can visit it.
Again, i apologise if this is too difficult for her

whoever said the euthanasia thing is a twat
corey
As per usual, my dry humour isn't appericated.

That comment wasn't particularly humourous, you're failing miserably.
Reply 28
corey
As per usual, my dry humour isn't appreciated.

it wasn't well timed, actually i can never see an ok time to say that, even if you are joking.
Reply 29
like a couple other people said, im not sure on how far she can read a book on her own or anything (sorry if i jus havent been reading threads properly) but how about instead of long wordy books, comics and stuff? maybe some japanese manga? theres soo much available and its so pretty!! she could build herself up a nice collection. maybe take sum off my sis... she has way too much hmm..
Does she like animals? There is a city farm near me that holds activities for adults with learning difficalties, they get to pet and feed the animals etc. Is there anything like that near you? Some places also offer horse riding for the disabled.
Reply 31
Homegrownkitten
Does she like animals? There is a city farm near me that holds activities for adults with learning difficalties, they get to pet and feed the animals etc. Is there anything like that near you? Some places also offer horse riding for the disabled.

yes maybe you could get her a pet like a kitten or something.
Reply 32
No, it would require looking after it. Better to get something that can be kept in a cage etc, maybe some fishes in an aquarium?
No, it would require looking after it. Better to get something that can be kept in a cage etc, maybe some fishes in an aquarium?

Fish can get quite boring, what about a parrot?!
Reply 34

yeah good point...
Reply 35
Great replies...except for corey who I am completely and utterly disgusted with.

As for what she can do...very VERY basic things...she can do 100 piece jigsaws so that's a good idea, but as for the minder scenario, she doesn't like being strangers.

For the person who asked, the condition is so varied that it affects different people in different ways.
Reply 36
Adhsur
Great replies...except for corey who I am completely and utterly disgusted with.

As for what she can do...very VERY basic things...she can do 100 piece jigsaws so that's a good idea, but as for the minder scenario, she doesn't like being strangers.

For the person who asked, the condition is so varied that it affects different people in different ways.

I dont blame you, what about our pet idea?
you could try offering her short-term projects.. eg if you have a garden, you could get your dad/someone helpful to build some small raised beds, or get tall tubs that she could plant up..it being spring and all that migt be a ncie thing she could do..watching them grow..wateringthem etc and she could feel proud about acheivement. if she is not co-ordinated enough, then scrap books, audio books (someone else mentioned and i thought was a good idea for rainy days), mybe encourage her to keep a sort of scrap book diary, she could draw pictures, note the weather, news, friends etc etc, with pictures or notes/scribbles/photos (you could get her an instamatic (sp?) camera..one of the cheap silly ones that churn out little sticker photos.. this all depends on how aware she is of her surroundings/goings-on, and how competent she is with her limbs..
Reply 38
Homegrownkitten
Fish can get quite boring, what about a parrot?!
Hamster etc are all good. Maybe getting a hutch for a rabbit might be good. As the sister can stay outside, and breath some fresh air..
Reply 39
how about one of tohse Zen Garden things? They are calming and fun to re-arrange

Latest