The Student Room Group

Why would anyone earning over 30k drive a hatchback ?

And not a coupe/ saloon / 4 x 4 or other more classy vehicle.

I get that saloons aren't for everyone

Scroll to see replies

O HAI traintracks.

Audi RS7. Nuff said.

</thread>
Reply 2
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
O HAI traintracks.

Audi RS7. Nuff said.

</thread>

are A7s hatchbacks not saloons ?
Original post by BallerTracks
are A7s hatchbacks not saloons ?

10_Audi_S7_Sportback.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Well you learn something new everyday...

Are they all hatchbacks, I imagine the saloon takes the bulk of the sales
Well you learn something new everyday...

Are they all hatchbacks, I imagine the saloon takes the bulk of the sales

Yes A7s are all hatchbacks.
Pretty sure you won't be affording a Porsche Panamera on 30k :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Alfissti
Pretty sure you won't be affording a Porsche Panamera on 30k :biggrin:

Dunno about that...
They are down to what? about 40k ish now? 10 grand down then 450 / 500 a month ?
Sounds doable on a 30k a year income to me...
Reply 8
I am on 32 and drive a golf. Mainly because I'm not that obsessed with cars and would rather spend my money/save my money to get a nice house... Plus I like my car - I like golfs and seem to get a reasonably good reaction from people for mine.
If it's an SUV
Reply 10
Original post by JC.
Dunno about that...
They are down to what? about 40k ish now? 10 grand down then 450 / 500 a month ?
Sounds doable on a 30k a year income to me...

Doable but would you want to use most of your disposable income on just your car?
Reply 11
Original post by Steezy
Doable but would you want to use most of your disposable income on just your car?

On a panamera? Personally, absolutely not.

Although, up until very recently I've always spent the majority of my free cash on cars / bikes and racing. So sure, why not if that's what you like.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
On a panamera? Personally, absolutely not.

Although, up until very recently I've always spent the majority of my free cash on cars / bikes and racing. So sure, why not if that's what you like.

Fair enough but to address your original question - the reason some may have a hatchback rather than a saloon is that they don't really care as much about cars as you. My golf is comfortable, goes as fast as I need, looks good (I believe) and feels safe. I don't need anything more than that.

Plus I think most saloons look a bit too "business-y" and I'm not quite ready to become my Dad just yet.
And not a coupe/ saloon / 4 x 4 or other more classy vehicle.

I get that saloons aren't for everyone

What is it with this forum an saloon posts lately? :s-smilie:

Saloons aren't anything to write home about, I'd pick a 4x4 over a saloon.
Original post by Steezy
I am on 32 and drive a golf. Mainly because I'm not that obsessed with cars and would rather spend my money/save my money to get a nice house... Plus I like my car - I like golfs and seem to get a reasonably good reaction from people for mine.

This is the reason some people on higher incomes drive hatchbacks.
I suppose if the hatchback in question is the new A class (£45k for the AMG version!!!!) then that would explain it. Otherwise they probably just don't care that much about cars
Reply 16
Hot hatches are good cars lol.
There a lot of fun to drive as well as being pretty practical on milage and such.
Good handling and a lot can do 0-60 in under 6seconds.

Not to mention the fact that they often look a lot better than other cars in there price range...
I know someone who earns £34k and drives a small hatchback which is 11 years old, I guess fancy cars aren't for everybody :h::h:
If you are saying that £30kpa is a lot then it really isnt! I dont live in the UK so I dont know what % is tax but its a reasonable chunk. Rent/mortgage, insurances, savings, utilities, food and petrol have to come out of the post tax amount, none of which are cheap. I dont expect I would want to spend £500 a month servicing a loan for a car from what was left. If you live at home and dont have these other commitments then I guess its doable but for most people £30k isnt a lot to play with.
I make much more than £30k and drive a £10k car because I don't really see that much difference between cheap and expensive cars up to a certain point.

Between a £1k car and a £10k car, yes, the £10k car is a lot nicer and won't break at every other traffic light.

But between £10k and £100k, the difference is much smaller in terms of utility. I would never buy a £100k car no matter how rich I am. You can buy a REALLY nice airplane with that much money... why buy a car?

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/DIAMOND-DA40XL/2007-DIAMOND-DA40XL/1322773.htm

Quick Reply

Latest