AQA AS Maths Further Pure 1 Question Watch

Firefox23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am struggling to understand the highlighted question. I thought you would just take the sum of the squares of the odd numbers between up 100 away form the sum up to 200, but the mark scheme says to do sum up to 100 - sum up to 50
Attached files
JerzyDudek
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you post the mark scheme?

(Original post by Firefox23)
I thought you would just take the sum of the squares of the odd numbers between up 100 away form the sum up to 200
That's what I would do as well.
AranAlpaca
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does the mark scheme say to do the sum for all values of r=100 minus the sum of the values up to r=50? If r=100 or 50, what would 2r-1 equal?
Gymnast
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there a tread for the FP1 exam tomorrow
JerzyDudek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ktalexander)
Does the mark scheme say to do the sum for all values of r=100 minus the sum of the values up to r=50? If r=100 or 50, what would 2r-1 equal?
Thank you, you are right, I somehow missed that.

To OP: Just look at the first and the last odd numbers in the interval because 100 and 200 are even and find corresponding r's. Hope I don't do such stupid things tomorrow
Firefox23
Rep:
?
Here's the mark scheme
Attached files
Firefox23
Rep:
?
(Original post by JerzyDudek)
Thank you, you are right, I somehow missed that.

To OP: Just look at the first and the last odd numbers in the interval because 100 and 200 are even and find corresponding r's. Hope I don't do such stupid things tomorrow
Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean, so you mean 101 being the first and 199 being the last?
JerzyDudek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean, so you mean 101 being the first and 199 being the last?
Yes, because the list is 101, 103, 104...199 so it doesn't matter if it's from 100 to 200 or from 101 to 199 in this case. However if you want to find the limits for r you need to equate the actual limit to 2r-1. For example, 101 = 2r - 1 gives r = 51 but 100 = 2r + 1 won't give you an integer. Do the same for the upper limit.

Then remember that  \displaystyle\sum^a_b = \displaystyle\sum^a_0 - \displaystyle\sum^{b-1}_0 .
Firefox23
Rep:
?
Yes, because the list is 101, 103, 104...199 so it doesn't matter if it's from 100 to 200 or from 101 to 199 in this case. However if you want to find the limits for r you need to equate the actual limit to 2r-1. For example, 101 = 2r - 1 gives r = 51 but 100 = 2r + 1 won't give you an integer. Do the same for the upper limit.

Then remember that  \displaystyle\sum^a_b = \displaystyle\sum^a_0 - \displaystyle\sum^{b-1}_0 .
Oh I understand so would that be the case for any question like that? Like if they said between 300 and 400 I'd use 150 and 200?
JerzyDudek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh I understand so would that be the case for any question like that? Like if they said between 300 and 400 I'd use 150 and 200?
Yes, as long as it's in the form 2r - 1. More generally make whatever you are summing equal to the first and last terms and find r limits. And then simply don't forget the rule in the above post.
Firefox23
Rep:
?
Yes, as long as it's in the form 2r - 1. More generally make whatever you are summing equal to the first and last terms and find r limits. And then simply don't forget the rule in the above post.
Ok thanks, 1 more question, with that the question was actually asking for the sum of the squares so (2r-1)^2, why didn't I make that equal to 100 but left out the squared and just used 2r-1?
jkrolling12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did everyone find it?
Gymnast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jkrolling12)
How did everyone find it?
Alright ish, it could have been so much worse but it could also have been better, so to be honest I am a bit unsure as to what I will get in that paper
jkrolling12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gymnast)
Alright ish, it could have been so much worse but it could also have been better, so to be honest I am a bit unsure as to what I will get in that paper
same tbh, were there any questions you couldnt do?
Firefox23
Rep:
?
same tbh, were there any questions you couldnt do?
Yeah I'm the same, I couldn't so the last question and I'm not sure about the general solutions one part b. I didn't have much time to check through either so I may have made some other little mistakes throughout the paper
jkrolling12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I'm the same, I couldn't so the last question and I'm not sure about the general solutions one part b. I didn't have much time to check through either so I may have made some other little mistakes throughout the paper
Same grade boundaries as last year do you think?
Gymnast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Struggled on exactly same questions, and I struggles for time as well but no point in worrying now just need to move on still got three exams left ( mechanics, decision one and two ) hoping they go well
Firefox23
Rep:
?
Same grade boundaries as last year do you think?
I really hope so! I thjnk this years wasn't technically as hard but it was harder in the hard topics if that makes sense
Gymnast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really hope so! I thjnk this years wasn't technically as hard but it was harder in the hard topics if that makes sense
I hope so too! Think they may be a tad higher but not much, talking like 2/3 marks higher
Firefox23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gymnast)
I hope so too! Think they may be a tad higher but not much, talking like 2/3 marks higher
Yeah I think most people will have made a few mistakes and as a result will have messed up whole questions and a few marks throughout just for simple errors so definitely low 60s hopefully even less
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%