JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What is it all about, coursework/exam. And what was your general thought on the course?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on the board, but I did AQA B.
I studied the gothic genre for the exam, the texts being Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights. Really enjoyed it, it's a really interesting genre :yep: plus, I loved my texts! The exam consists of two 40 mark questions. In section A you choose which text you answer on, in section B you talk about all three texts in a generic gothic question.

For the coursework, one piece was simply a comparison essay. You choose your own question; I chose to look at insanity and torture in The Prussian Officer, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Pit and the Pendulum. The second piece was applying either a Marxist/Feminist/Metaphor critique to a text (I chose metaphor for Porphyria's Lover)

Personally, I thought the course was amazing. There is a lot more flexibility, especially with the coursework. I'd recommend it to anyone :yep:

(Even if this doesn't help you, hopefully it'll help someone else )

Posted from TSR Mobile
JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks, actually a huge help
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A2 is a lot harder to AS...

For A2 students got to pick texts and choose their own theme/essay title.. I chose Enduring Love, Dorian Gray and Othello by Shakespeare and my question was based on morality. It was fun picking something I found interesting in all of the texts. It's so much better. For me, I hated studying a tradition of Lit such as WW1 Literature... in terms of themes and interest, it's so restricting because it's all bout the same thing which becomes boring... (IMO).

It's also harder in terms of getting/knowing/understanding literary criticism. It's a faff trying to find them on Google! Exam structure is quite different. For me you had to add a lot more political, social and historical context in both exam and coursework which was just annoying because I dropped AS History for a reason aha.

I think since you have more the freedom to pick your texts at A2 (you might not, depends on exam board), you should really make the most of it and pick texts you enjoy and wouldn't mind rereading a dozen time to select quotes, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (27)
11.49%
Lack of purpose or motivation (35)
14.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (14)
5.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
2.98%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (22)
9.36%
Financial worries (15)
6.38%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
2.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
6.81%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.55%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (29)
12.34%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (17)
7.23%

Watched Threads