Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Hardly. Maths is very employable. That phrase "transferable skills" springs to mind, and for the case of maths, you get analytical, problem-solving, and loical thinking skills.
    So you are saying that if he wanted to be a geography teacher, he could get away with out doing geography and only maths a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So you are saying that if he wanted to be a geography teacher, he could get away with out doing geography and only maths a level?
    I was responding to what I thought your post implied: that graduates from those subjects just end up teaching those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. Maths is very employable. That phrase "transferable skills" springs to mind, and for the case of maths, you get analytical, problem-solving, and loical thinking skills.
    Geography utilises the same skills but in a very different way.

I maintain that Geography is the most 'relevant to life' subject that you can study.

ReputationRep:
    I was responding to what I thought your post implied: that graduates from those subjects just end up teaching those subjects.
    1. We are talking about A levels at best.

2. I did say extreme examples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)

I maintain that Geography is the most 'relevant to life' subject that you can study.
    Depending what type of life you lead.

Eg A geoglist or an actuary

maths is far more beneficial than geography plus its actually more fun, yes thats right i said fun

ReputationRep:

Every subject is very relevant to life. "Most" and least is relative and up for debate.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=2776]Whats better? A rock or a calculator?[QUOTE]

Depends in what circumstances you are in. If I wanted to kill somebody, a rock would be 1000 times more useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    maths is far more beneficial than geography plus its actually more fun, yes thats right i said fun
    as long as your getting the right answers

with ure strenght eddie neither would be of any use

ReputationRep:
    Every subject is very relevant to life. "Most" and least is relative and up for debate.
    Obviously - I was just stating my personal opinion, hence my use of 'I maintain' as opposed to 'Geography is...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    as long as your getting the right answers
    That's not the subject's fault!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously - I was just stating my personal opinion, hence my use of 'I maintain' as opposed to 'Geography is...'
    Sorry, I accept. And I'll maintain my own opinion too.

(Original post by 2776)
    It depends what you want to do. ie being a geograpphy teacher? Or being a maths teacher? Extreme examples of either, but it stems to that. Your career choice.
    alot of computing companies employ maths graduates.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the subject's fault!
    I don't know - sometimes it seemed like Maths was out to get me .

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=eddiedaboss][QUOTE=2776]Whats better? A rock or a calculator?

Depends in what circumstances you are in. If I wanted to kill somebody, a rock would be 1000 times more useful!
    I was referring to (parody) the crap question on the thread, "Whats better, geograhy or maths"

even general studies and critical thinking?..............i think not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakooga)
    alot of computing companies employ maths graduates.
    And? We are talking about A LEVELS PEOPLE.

OK. Ok. the outcome to this thread is that maths is more usual whereas geography is more fun :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    even general studies and critical thinking?..............i think not
    Critical thinking, a skill employed by critics. They fill columns on newspapers, for example.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.