Conserving battery life Watch

AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My thinkpad is lasting around 1 hour under full use as the battery is nearly 5 years old.

What is the best way of keeping the battery helpful? I understand its based on charge cycles, so if I use my battery for 5 minutes is that just as bad as using it for an hour?
PieMaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd buy a new battery if its that worn down, I get about 4 hours on my old dell battery.

I think theres a SpeedStep app from Intel for 9x/2k which you can lock the CPU at its lowest clock speed with. If youre under XP then this will do the job even better.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Yep I am planning to get a new battery, apparantly with the higher sepc 5400 batteries you can get 4 hrs easily on it. I shall wait until I go away and need long battery life though.

I've already got the speedstep installed, its apart of the IBM drivers.
lionelmtb
Report 12 years ago
Yikes! Laptop batteries usually have a shelf life of around 3 years, you've been taking good care of that thing!
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I asked this question a few months back when I got my laptop, and someone on TSR suggested that when I'm using the laptop at home, I should remove the battery and run it directly off mains. They said that would help conserve battery life. Has anyone tried this, and does it actually work?
lionelmtb
Report 12 years ago
Depends, if its Li-ion then charge it to 40%, then you can remove the battery and store it until you need it safely.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My battery is 2 years old, and is completely dead. If I pull the powerchord out then the laptop turns off lol. Just as well that I don't need to use it away from a mains supply!
lionelmtb
Report 12 years ago
Do make sure you leave that battery out if possible, it would be safer since you don't need it anymore...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads