Paying tax Watch

Trundle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,
I have been at my summer job for about 6 weeks now. I finished my A-levels in June and am going to be a full time student at University in October. Should I be paying tax on my wages? My manager is rubbish about things like this. Apparently, I can claim the tax back or something? I think I am on an emergency tax code as this is my first job. Can somebody who knows more about these sorts of thing help me. I don't have a clue!

Thanks
Ichamackalooloo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm PRETTY sure on this being factual:

It all depends on the money you earn. You see, you should have received a letter from the Inland Rev saying how much you can earn before you get taxed. However if you/your employer haven't completed a P45 you'll be emergency taxed...but you can claim this back.
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can earn £5020 approx before you start paying tax. You need to ring up your tax office (your employer should have the number) and tell them and they'll give you the tax you have paid back. When i started working i was on emergency tax but i got it back.
twinkle.twinkle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My bank got in contact with me for this, all I had to do was fill in a form and hand it in.
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
My bank got in contact with me for this, all I had to do was fill in a form and hand it in.
This would be for paying tax on your interest NOT on your wages. They both need to be sorted seperatley.
iolaus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had a form to fill in (payroll sent it to me) which I had to tick something to say that this was my only job and I had not worked since 5 April 2006.

Inland Revenue then sent me another form to confirm what I've been doing for the last year (I was working then I stopped to go to uni - now uni and p/t work)
Montrose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In short, I think the best thing to do is contact the tax office. If you don't earn over the previous mentioned threshold, you can claim it back. For general earnings throughout the year you get it back in April (end of tax year), but for taxes through an emergency tax code you may be able to get it back now. Ask the tax office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise