A2 English Literature comparative coursework

Watch
OhhNo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've just started y13 (technically I'm in y12 but exams are done so we've started y13 work) and I need to think about what I want to do for my comparative coursework

I'm considering We Need To Talk About Kevin and The Wasp Factory, but as I'm not a huge fan of the former, I'd like to find an alternative, so does anyone know of any other books with childhood killers/psychopaths?

I'm also a fan of 1984 and Brave New World so I'm also considering comparing them, what would I compare about them?

What other possible comparisons would you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OhhNo)
I've just started y13 (technically I'm in y12 but exams are done so we've started y13 work) and I need to think about what I want to do for my comparative coursework

I'm considering We Need To Talk About Kevin and The Wasp Factory, but as I'm not a huge fan of the former, I'd like to find an alternative, so does anyone know of any other books with childhood killers/psychopaths?

I'm also a fan of 1984 and Brave New World so I'm also considering comparing them, what would I compare about them?

What other possible comparisons would you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to pop this in English for you.

There's a HUGE amount of stuff that you can compare between 1984 and Brave New World, as they're both about dystopian futures from different perspectives. 1984 is the dystopian future of communism/totalitarianism, Brave New World is the dystopian future of capitalism/hedonism. This cartoon is a really good starting point: http://www.highexistence.com/amusing...ley-vs-orwell/
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To compare The Wasp Factory, and that is similar to We Need to Talk About Kevin is "Defending Jacob" it's about a child who kills his classmates or something like that.
gheorghew
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1984 and Brave New World are excellent to compare! I did my coursework on them this year, got 100% :P i compared the use of language as a tool of power in the two texts, looked at the ways that the characters use slogans and manipulation of language to dominate the lower classes but also the omission of history through refining language and the restriction of language to control the knowledge of the people, they're really good to compare and they're historically contrasted to one another so there are lots of resources to help you online. They even reference each other in the introductions of the editions which I used!
Good luck! )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (97)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (289)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (204)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (269)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (84)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.78%
Loneliness (165)
8.59%
Financial worries (68)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (85)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (91)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (106)
5.52%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (169)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (183)
9.53%

Watched Threads