The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Work Experience

Hello, I was wondering what is the best work experience for Mental Health Nursing, I was thinking of working in a Care Home, but I mean everyone does this, what else can I do to improve my chances guys?
Original post by Troytheboy
Hello, I was wondering what is the best work experience for Mental Health Nursing, I was thinking of working in a Care Home, but I mean everyone does this, what else can I do to improve my chances guys?

A care home might not be a bad idea- I currently work in a dementia care home. It's long hours, awful pay and a really challenging job- I love it though, it's really opened my eyes in terms of future career plans and I'd definitely recommend it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a look at www.do-it.org.uk for ideas. You could maybe become a befriender with Mind or another similar charity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A care home is a really good one, people tend to over look dementia care when thinking about mental health and chances are there will be some elderly people there with depression, anxiety, bipolar etc.

Other places are charities that support mental health, support workers, day centres, youth groups.
As others have suggested, care homes are good. If it's something more mental health specific then that's great, but even a normal care home or nursing home is ok too. In the end in environments like these communication is a really important skill that you use, especially with people with dementia or who have visual or hearing impairments. You can easily apply this to a PS or interview for MH nursing, as communication is one of the most important tools you have when interacting with patients.
Reply 5
How old are you? I want to go into mental health law so have been looking everywhere for work experience -however as i am 17 most places do not want me because of how vulnerable the patients are and I am not a full adult yet. Care homes are great, popular but thats because not many people can get much else! I'd say charity work is also a benefit, too
Original post by AmeliaE
How old are you? I want to go into mental health law so have been looking everywhere for work experience -however as i am 17 most places do not want me because of how vulnerable the patients are and I am not a full adult yet. Care homes are great, popular but thats because not many people can get much else! I'd say charity work is also a benefit, too

19, but I struggle with the same problem!, I am worried about working in a care home will not give me the leverage you need in the University Interview to gain that one place. I have started St. Johns ambulance, in a hope it will be slightly different to others.
Original post by Troytheboy
19, but I struggle with the same problem!, I am worried about working in a care home will not give me the leverage you need in the University Interview to gain that one place. I have started St. Johns ambulance, in a hope it will be slightly different to others.

Have a look at the last post I've made in this thread :smile:

As long as you can link the experience you've had to the role of a mental health nurse in your PS and interview it's good. Have you thought about something like maybe volunteering with the Samaritans as a listening volunteer? That would get a lot of admissions tutors attention I reckon.
Original post by moonkatt

As long as you can link the experience you've had to the role of a mental health nurse in your PS and interview it's good. Have you thought about something like maybe volunteering with the Samaritans as a listening volunteer? That would get a lot of admissions tutors attention I reckon.

But everyone else would have made that link also haha, how do you stick out of 3000 applicants for 200 places?. Yeah, I'll give that a go to thanks!
Original post by moonkatt

But everyone else would have made that link also haha, how do you stick out of 3000 applicants for 200 places?. Yeah, I'll give that a go to thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending