eleanorwoodling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination? So, sort of a representation of his 'id' that he feels guilty about and so creates this 'monster' as an excuse for it??
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eleanorwoodling)
Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination? So, sort of a representation of his 'id' that he feels guilty about and so creates this 'monster' as an excuse for it??
I'm going to pop this in English as I'm sure people there will want to talk about this.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe it's his alter-ego maybe? I wouldn't go that deep with ID and Freud unless you are super confident with understanding Freudian Psychology.

If you are analysing Frankenstein at a psychoanalytical point of view, then you can argue your point
gheorghew
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the physical effects of the monster rule out most interpretations of the monster being a figment of his psyche, but you're on the right lines with the idea of him being a double and the alternative side. You might be more on the right idea there with something like Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde :P
rocket0612
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eleanorwoodling)
Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination?
You need to back up your argument with the text and really there is nothing in the text to support your argument about the monster being a figment of Frankenstein's imagination.

Regards the other 'id' point, many critics have argued this so you could research that.

I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
eleanorwoodling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by rocket0612)
You need to back up your argument with the text and really there is nothing in the text to support your argument about the monster being a figment of Frankenstein's imagination.

Regards the other 'id' point, many critics have argued this so you could research that.

I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay, I see
I just think that arguments surrounding the novel are really interesting as we looked at loads in English Lit
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (24)
13.95%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (48)
27.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (70)
40.7%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
14.53%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.91%

Watched Threads