Course Switching Watch

tommymcflow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi
Just got my A level grades, provisionally goin 2 warwick 2 study physics...
However, i phoned warwick up this mornin and asked about the protocol of switching courses, and they pretty much said that there is NO opportunity to switch courses, even after you first year (to maths btw).

Do you know if this is accurate, cz i really want to go to warwick ,bt i also want to do maths!!

Cheers
joy12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i was also told that dats not allowed...
Linda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my boyfriend changed from physics to maths and physics joint degree, so that might be an option.
davem7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know that the mathematics course is very popular at Warwick, and they're trying to fit as many people as possible onto the course as they can. Obviously, priority has to be given to those who opted to choose a degree involving mathematics as either a full or joint honours.

Getting onto the mathematics course may be hard, but I would suggest to keep trying. I can't really say anything else as I don't really know enough about the department's policies on transfers. I do have a friend who transferred away from a joint math/physics degree to physics. However, as this is going away from maths, it may be a lot easier.

Out of interest, did you ring the mathematics department or the physics department? The joint maths/physics degree is run from the Physics department.

Best of luck.
Sparkling_Jules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its a lot easier to go from maths to physics, I think they don't like people trying to go the other way because the offer for maths is higher and its like cheating the system.
Math/Phys might work... I do maths/phys and its brill. You can choose your options so you do more maths if thats what you want.

It certainly is a lot easier to go from maths/phys to phys especially in the first term. I know a few people that did it and I almost did as well but I stuck with it and it was all good in the end.
Spana
Report 12 years ago
As having been a person who changed courses at warwick...i shall tell you what happens

either
1) you can change but you must change within the first 2 weeks, as my friend who did engineering did this!

OR

2) like they did with me, you will be alowed to change but only after you first year as you have to pass all your modules...if you pass all your modules then you fill out a transfer form by both department heads, and you change in the second year
locutionatoress
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spana)
As having been a person who changed courses at warwick...i shall tell you what happens

either
1) you can change but you must change within the first 2 weeks, as my friend who did engineering did this!

OR

2) like they did with me, you will be alowed to change but only after you first year as you have to pass all your modules...if you pass all your modules then you fill out a transfer form by both department heads, and you change in the second year
Out of curiousity, what course were you in, and what course did you change into? And also, which option is easier?
Spana
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by locutionatoress)
Out of curiousity, what course were you in, and what course did you change into? And also, which option is easier?

hey, i started off with a striaght sociology degree and moved to half sociology and half politics. It is usually easier to change to a humanities or social science but you have to wait until the end of the year.

I recommend the following...

when u get to warwick find out who your personal tutor . After about a week tell your tutor that you are VERY UNHAPPY with the course as you thought it would be very different. They will tell you your choices (admin at most universities know nothing about how the system works so dont bother to call them). If they he/she tells you that you cannot change till next year then take a FEW modules in the degree you want to change to. This module is very important as then they cannot pass off the blag of '..you will struggle as you havent covered any of the course material and thus you are too far behind..'. Thus it will be easier to change the following year as you will have covered some of the material. Most sciences I believe are changable within the first two weeks.

My boyfriend does maths/phys at warwick and from him I have got the impression that it is easier to change from maths to physics rather than from phy to maths (btw he DIDNT change course), as all the physics lads in my flat all did maths modules anyway.

If you cant change I wouldnt worry too much as you can always just do modules in the subject each year anyway!

I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS ANY HELP OR MAKES SENSE!!

Is this any help?
locutionatoress
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spana)
Is this any help?
Yeah it's tons of help. I'm registered to do BSc Management, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it as it involves loads of maths and quantitative analysis, neither of which I'm particularly good at - and I may do a drastic change in regard to course... such as perhaps English? Sounds a bit impossible, but, ah. We'll see.
Flexon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by locutionatoress)
Yeah it's tons of help. I'm registered to do BSc Management, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it as it involves loads of maths and quantitative analysis, neither of which I'm particularly good at - and I may do a drastic change in regard to course... such as perhaps English? Sounds a bit impossible, but, ah. We'll see.
You havent even started the course and you want to switch? :confused: Dont get me wrong but why dont you at least try it for a bit and see how it goes. I mean you did apply to sit on this course. Otherwise everyones gonna wanta switch courses to a better one or vice versa! Im pretty certain Warwick is going to tell you to try it for a few weeks minimum, if not a year.
locutionatoress
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Flexon)
why dont you at least try it for a bit and see how it goes.
That's exactly what I'll be doing, but it's always nice to know that there's the opportunity to switch courses if I wanted to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.51%
No (195)
72.49%

Watched Threads