Puzzling puzzle, can anyone shed some light?! Watch

smilee172
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Adam, Bob, and Chuck, three perfectly intelligent logicians, are sitting facing each other with a hat on each of their heads so that each can see the others' hats but they cannot see their own. Each hat, they are told, has a (non-zero) positive integer on it, and the number on one hat is the sum of the numbers on the other two hats. The following conversation ensues:

Adam: I do not know the number on my hat.
Bob: I do not know the number on my hat.
Chuck: I do not know the number on my hat.
Adam: The number on my hat is 1691.

Adam was correct. What are the numbers on the other two hats?

I came across this riddle/puzzle on a website, but as far as I could see there was no answer! Just wondering if any of you clever people on here could figure it out!
LouE3D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by laurah)
Adam, Bob, and Chuck, three perfectly intelligent logicians, are sitting facing each other with a hat on each of their heads so that each can see the others' hats but they cannot see their own. Each hat, they are told, has a (non-zero) positive integer on it, and the number on one hat is the sum of the numbers on the other two hats. The following conversation ensues:

Adam: The number on my hat is 1691.

Adam was correct. What are the numbers on the other two hats?

I came across this riddle/puzzle on a website, but as far as I could see there was no answer! Just wondering if any of you clever people on here could figure it out!
Well, if 2 of the numbers on the hats added together quals the number on the other hat, then surely the answer can be 845.5?? it isn't a very good puzzle as there could be hundreds of answers (unless I'm missing something :confused: ) i.e 1 & 1690....
a_man_1066
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Er... I'm sure someone who studies logic and that can probably prove this, but it seems that it's unsolvable.... I mean, why do they say "I do not know the number on my hat" so many times - are you sure its not a typo/misprint and that they are meant to say something different.
**Pinx**
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oooya am well confused :s
smilee172
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by a_man_1066)
Er... I'm sure someone who studies logic and that can probably prove this, but it seems that it's unsolvable.... I mean, why do they say "I do not know the number on my hat" so many times - are you sure its not a typo/misprint and that they are meant to say something different.
Nope that';s how it was displayed on the website, I really don't understand it but maybe the number of times they say 'I don't know..' is some kind of code or something. Really confused!
frazer_1
Report 12 years ago
well, it involves some pretty complex logic reasoning, but the other two hats are 1045 and 646. And there is a reason why there are nine 'I dont know' answers

Think of this simple one to get you on the right wavelength:

If A was 6, B was 4, and C was 2

A's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be either 6 or 2
B's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be 4 or 8
C's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be 10 or 2

As B said 'I dont know', A therefore knows he cannot be 2, as if he was 2, B would have said 4 straight away as A and C would both have been 2 and so B would have known he was 4 as he cannot be zero. Therefore, on his second response, A will say 6
rufus_da_bear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by frazer_1)
well, it involves some pretty complex logic reasoning, but the other two hats are 1045 and 646. And there is a reason why there are nine 'I dont know' answers

Think of this simple one to get you on the right wavelength:

If A was 6, B was 4, and C was 2

A's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be either 6 or 2
B's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be 4 or 8
C's first response would be 'I dont know' as he could be 10 or 2

As B said 'I dont know', A therefore knows he cannot be 2, as if he was 2, B would have said 4 straight away as A and C would both have been 2 and so B would have known he was 4 as he cannot be zero. Therefore, on his second response, A will say 6
i can't believe im going to do an AS in critical thinking. although on reading this for the 5th time, it makes a bit more sence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads