Do I have the right to take a book back to Waterstones? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Laco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
So the black pen isn't the problem. The problem is you've finished it and now want a refund.
The black pen is the reason why I want to take it back, not because I've finished the book. I stumbled across the black pen yesterday and I certainly haven't done it. Proof:

http://i.imgur.com/ddkoT2P.jpg

How can I convince them that I did not pen it myself and that it was there before I purchase the book? I don't think I can...
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laco)
Nope, unfortunately it was not from the pre-owned section. So, if I am not allowed a full refund, can I sell the book back to them for a lesser amount?
So it's not a brand new book that you brought as a gift and you probably put the ink in it too.

You should be able to resell the book either through Waterstones or Amazon, but I wouldn't expect you to get very much for it tbh.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laco)
The black pen is the reason why I want to take it back, not because I've finished the book. I stumbled across the black pen yesterday and I certainly haven't done it. Proof:

How can I convince them that I did not pen it myself and that it was there before I purchase the book? I don't think I can...
You just said you no longer want it because you've finished it
Laco
Rep:
?
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
You just said you no longer want it because you've finished it
Forget it. I will try my luck taking it back anyway.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laco)

The pen is on pg 11. How could you have stumbled across it yesterday?

Tbh, the condition that the book is in, I would say that the bookstore wouldn't give you a full refund, and rightly so. You could sell it as a second hand book tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laco
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2710)
The pen is on pg 11. How could you have stumbled across it yesterday?

Tbh, the condition that the book is in, I would say that the bookstore wouldn't give you a full refund, and rightly so. You could sell it as a second hand book tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Page 53 actually.
Cherx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you have no shame asking for a refund considering the state of your book is messed up.

I doubt anyone would pay full price for it :rolleyes:
Laco
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cherx)
Would you have no shame asking for a refund considering the state of your book is messed up.

I doubt anyone would pay full price for it :rolleyes:
Its condition isn't that bad. Sure there are a few creases in its spine and a couple of scratches here and there but I think depending on the light in the store and the vision of the cashier (I'll try and approach someone with glasses), its condition could be overlooked.
Cherx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laco)
Its condition isn't that bad. Sure there are a few creases in its spine and a couple of scratches here and there but I think depending on the light in the store and the vision of the cashier (I'll try and approach someone with glasses), its condition could be overlooked.
Wth dude :rolleyes:

No, okay. Just no.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're going to return it I would check their returns policy. The standard is 28 days, which would be almost up if bought 15th May. Also, they have no obligation to offer you a refund at all - many people believe that stores must legally give you a refund should you so wish to have one upon returning a product, but this is not the case.
brownsugar-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Books are for reading, you read it. The underlining did not stop you from reading it. What's the point other than you finished it and don't want the book anymore? You aren't even exchanging it for the same book without pen so obviously you don't want to keep the book anyway.
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't recommend you say you bought it as a gift - because it suggests that the owner before you could have just given you an old book.

I think it would be okay if there were some underlined words, but the whole book looks like it's completely used through.

Try your luck and take it back and say there's words underlined. Say you bought the book like that because it was the only one available at the time and you were in a hurry so didn't notice the crease in the spine, now you can notice it and the underlined words you didn't like. If they say you did this, just tell them how can you possibly do this in about 2 weeks, clearly it's been pre-owned or treated like a ***** in the warehouse.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laco)
I have read the book and I no longer want it. I want a full refund but this is unlikely given its condition. I haven't taken a book back before, so do you know of any credible reason I can give to them which explains its condition?
You do realise there are libraries?

Tbh, considering the spine of the book, it's strange that the one black line in it annoys you.
BlueSam3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they sold it to you in a condition that is not fit for purpose, then they are obliged to give you a refund or replacement as soon as you demand it under the Sale of Goods Act. Other than that, you don't have a leg to stand on.
JET2107
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Laco)
I bought a book from Waterstones. Inside of this book, someone has underlined words on a couple of pages with a black pen. Can I take this book back and say I no longer want the book because I have discovered that someone else has written inside of it? I have the receipt
Waterstones are notorious for not honouring their return policy.I took back a brand new perfect conditioned unopened book (brought as a gift but friend already had it) the same week it was purchased for a returnthe staff scrutinised this book and found a tiny mark - I mean about a millimetre long - then claimed I had 'mistreated' the book because I not bought plastic bag (he checked the receipt) and refused me a refundhe told me this was 'good business' - so watch out for them
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (12)
26.67%
Spring (8)
17.78%
Autumn/Fall (13)
28.89%
Winter (8)
17.78%
I love them all equally (4)
8.89%