33. Washington University in St. Louis
34. London School of Economics
35. Northwestern University
36. National University of Singapore
37. University of Pittsburgh
38. Australian National University
39. New York University
40. Pennsylvania State University

We evaluated schools on some of the measures used in well-known rankings published by Shanghai Jiaotong University and the Times of London Higher Education Survey. Fifty percent of the score came from equal parts of three measures used by Shanghai Jiatong: the number of highly-cited researchers in various academic fields, the number of articles published in Nature and Science, and the number of articles listed in the ISI Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities indices. Another 40 percent of the score came from equal parts of four measures used by the Times: the percentage of international faculty, the percentage of international students, citations per faculty member (using ISI data), and the ratio of faculty to students. The final 10 percent came from library holdings (number of volumes).
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nobody gives two ****s about these tables. The fact that 10% of the scores comes from library holdings is simply utterly laughable, eg. places like Cambridge and Oxford would have an apparent advantage over somewhere like UCL in terms of holdings, but then that wouldn't bother me at all since I have the British Library at my doorstep. These guys are complete morons - you get more marks for having more international students? Twits!
evilheat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why all this hate AI?

:cool:
Crazster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Rankings don't mean much.. they try to generlise different education styles and advantages and do not take into account how different students would benefit. Sure the UK schools need money (HINT HINT TONY IRAQ BLAIR Start the right reforms), but they still cater a world class education.
Als
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
IMO, Ratings may be useful as a general overview of where's reasonably good (i.e. the top twenty are probably going to have a good rep with employers and attract the strongest students) but really, it's what you're prepared to put into a degree, how much you enjoy your course, and what else you do at your university that's going to make it good or bad for you. Just because a bunch of irrelevant journalists and pollsters think it's a good place to study doesn't guarantee its students a happy, successful or fulfilled life.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Newsweek?
FarEastGerman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm highly doubtful as to the validity of the Shanghai Jiaotong ratings myself, but isn't it still a good feeling to see UCL up there on spot 25 either way?

Especially when annoying relatives ask things like "UCL- never heard of it!"" I can smugly reply "it's been ranked 25th in the world, you know! Mwhaha!".

Or something along those lines...
swim730885
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FarEastGerman)
I'm highly doubtful as to the validity of the Shanghai Jiaotong ratings myself, but isn't it still a good feeling to see UCL up there on spot 25 either way?

Especially when annoying relatives ask things like "UCL- never heard of it!"" I can smugly reply "it's been ranked 25th in the world, you know! Mwhaha!".

Or something along those lines...
diito...though i do think that shanghai ranking methodology makes sense. the U.S. News and World Report rankings which rank the Unis in the U.S. (top spots in which are coveted and minor fluctuations can cause hysteria) uses some stupid methodology about drop out rates and retention, it doesn't take into consideration anything about what the school produces in terms of research which in the end is what really counts. if the school can produce good research, the school itself passes that knowledge down to the students i.e. good teaching
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Seems like people never like rankings in which their university is not in the top 10.

I don't care, my undergraduate university is #2
guccilittlepiggy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you want a good university ranking use the THES 2005.
the above one is a load of *******s.
pharmakos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guccilittlepiggy)
If you want a good university ranking use the THES 2005.
the above one is a load of *******s.
Ha, I think the THES 2005 is the one full of s##t.
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If it were possible to average out all the major tables there might be some truth in the result...
guvno0or
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to take these tables with a lot of salt.

The richer American Universities attract a big amount of students on financial merit and not intellectual ability, or even character/work ethic/etc.

Not to mention an individual course, or even your PhD supervisor, will not neccesarily mirror the ranking of the university.

Daft.
dismal_laundry
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guvno0or)

The richer American Universities attract a big amount of students on financial merit and not intellectual ability, or even character/work ethic/etc.
How the hell would you know about that?
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guvno0or)
You have to take these tables with a lot of salt.

Not to mention an individual course, or even your PhD supervisor, will not neccesarily mirror the ranking of the university.

Daft.
Do British people tell themselves this lie to make them feel better about the fact that US universities dominate these tables?

Students at top US universities are as qualified and intelligent as students at their peer institutions in the UK. Stanford has an established study abroad program at Oxford, and time and time again, lecturers and tutors told us how impressed they were with the quality of Stanford students.

It's very insulting and quite untrue. Besides the fact that the top US universities have need-blind admissions, they don't even know whether or not you are wealthy in the decision making process.
dismal_laundry
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, exactly. Time and again on this website, I read the opinions of people with manifestly no experience of the United States who seem to believe that their pronouncements a. are interesting and b. carry some authority.
Crazster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shady lane)
Do British people tell themselves this lie to make them feel better about the fact that US universities dominate these tables?

Students at top US universities are as qualified and intelligent as students at their peer institutions in the UK. Stanford has an established study abroad program at Oxford, and time and time again, lecturers and tutors told us how impressed they were with the quality of Stanford students.

It's very insulting and quite untrue. Besides the fact that the top US universities have need-blind admissions, they don't even know whether or not you are wealthy in the decision making process.
The top US colleges are a mix of the brightest and the most influential is what i've heard.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Why should that be a factor anyway? I never remember people wanting to know my parents income any time during applying for a place at university, apart from when I was applying for my Student Loan, which has nothing to do eith the admissions process. I don't see your exact point here, but perhaps I am missing something, however from cousins' experience of American Universities (one went to Cornell, the other went to somewhere ordinary like Michigan), they say that the system isn't as black and white as people make it out to be, ie. a hefty donation to the right school/organisation can do wonders at helping you get into your preferred university, and the cousin had Cornell's friend got in through that route, ie. his parents donated rather a large sum. I don't really see/hear about that sort of thing happening in this country, although I do remember reading how Lakshmi Mittal (the richest man in the UK) tried to bribe LSE with a huge donation to get his daughter in. Still, I guess that's only one case.
guvno0or
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you doth protest too much!
guvno0or
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

So you are honestly telling me that in the American system you don't have a problem with the fees, whereby you get a higher intake of lesser able students due to the fact that they can afford the fees whilst good students with less money cannot?

Disagree if you like, but the fact is that your warped extreme capatalistic system skews your university intake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads