Listening to the Disintegration Loops- Can anybody recommend me more ambient music?

Watch
Fission_Mailed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My friend recommended William Basinski's Disintegration Loops* and I've been working my way through them over the past couple of days. I didn't think I liked ambient music (beyond a bit of Aphex Twin) but for some reason this has been having a really profound effect on me; kind of calming, but emotionally draining and deeply melancholic. Like a submarine rusting at the bottom of the ocean.

Can anybody recommend some other artists/albums in this sort of vein?

*For anyone who is unfamiliar, there's actually a pretty cool story behind this. Basinski was trying to transfer recordings he had made in the 80s on magnetic tape to digital, but the tapes had deteriorated so much that they disintegrated as they passed over the tapehead. The results were continuous loops of the same short sample gradually falling apart. He was living in Manhattan and finished the project on 11/9/01, so that evening he and his friends went up onto the roof of his building and listened to the it while filming the smoke from the towers on a static camera.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aphex Twin
Tycho
Boards of Canada (more techno influenced though)
Burial
Boxcutter
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Godspeed You Black Emperor (kind of post rock/ambient)
Temporality
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Groove Armada.
And what the poster above said.
European Son
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first port of call regarding ambient music would be Brian Eno's work from the 70s/80s. You may also enjoy the work of Stars of the Lid. Especially their album '...And Their Refinement of the Decline'. Not strictly ambient, but you should also check out 'An Empty Bliss Beyond This World' by The Caretaker.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Board of Canada are good to check out.

And *some* Autechre too.
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
My friend recommended William Basinski's Disintegration Loops* and I've been working my way through them over the past couple of days. I didn't think I liked ambient music (beyond a bit of Aphex Twin) but for some reason this has been having a really profound effect on me; kind of calming, but emotionally draining and deeply melancholic. Like a submarine rusting at the bottom of the ocean.

Can anybody recommend some other artists/albums in this sort of vein?

*For anyone who is unfamiliar, there's actually a pretty cool story behind this. Basinski was trying to transfer recordings he had made in the 80s on magnetic tape to digital, but the tapes had deteriorated so much that they disintegrated as they passed over the tapehead. The results were continuous loops of the same short sample gradually falling apart. He was living in Manhattan and finished the project on 11/9/01, so that evening he and his friends went up onto the roof of his building and listened to the it while filming the smoke from the towers on a static camera.
Ignore all the hipster and /mu/core stuff in the thread as far as you can.

A winged victory for the sullen - self titled album
tim hecker - ravedeath 1972
Brian Eno - music for airports, discreet music
Aeronaut - your space transmissions listening kit
stars of the lid - per aspera ad astra
christina vantzou - no.1 AND no.2
Aires - Aires
Unwell - sinking sounds for bottomless nights
james ross - adrift
paul h muller - december sunrise
siavash amini - the violet hour
total life - burner
sunn O))) and Ulver - terrestrials

Should be some decent starting points for you at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (192)
43.74%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.73%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise