The Student Room Group

If America's best athletes played soccer we would WIN the World Cup...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I'm not sure why it's touched a nerve. If people understand what you mean when you say "soccer" then that's all that matters. I was just clearly pointing out that it wasn't an Americanism.

Just because it's understandable, doesn't make it right. I know it wasn't originally an Americanism, but since they are virtually the only people who still say soccer it is an Americanism now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
IDK why British ppl think cricket\Rugby are International sports there NOT! Basketball has far more Merritt than either of those sports.
Original post by Beyoncstan
IDK why British ppl think cricket\Rugby are International sports there NOT! Basketball has far more Merritt than either of those sports.

Few people outside America give a flying **** about American sports. Basketball is slighlty better than handegg and US rounders, but rugby and cricket are far more prominent globally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No America has a history of great world class athletes in a variety of sports! China does not they excell in "games' or activities like table tennis, diving, weight lifting.

where have you been all your life?
Original post by GnomeMage

where have you been all your life?

Britain has more medals per inhabitant that any other country in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midgemeister7

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes and all medals won by americans belong to great britain because american was once part of great britain

oh australia too
Original post by midgemeister7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Australia's population is over one third that of the UK's, and received half the number of medals the UK did in 2012 (although only 1/4 the number of gold medals).
If you want to make it about Black people (you spoke about African-Americans) I could just say that when African countries become wealthy, they will win the World Cup, because then they will be able to afford better training facilities. Or what about China or India, I'm sure if enough people in either of those countries got into football, they could find 11 players good enough to compete on that level.

Indians loves Cricket, so do Australians.

I agree Rugby is BS though
Reply 69
Cricket and Rugby are NOT international sports they are mostly played by a hand full of former British colonies

Cricket only has 10 full time members, Rugby has 100 but only about 10 countries really take Rugby serious.

Basketball has 216 members and Basketball is generaly the #2 or 3 team sport in most coutnries such as Spain, France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Eastern Europe, China, etc

You are correct, Basketball is a reasonably big sport in countries outside of the UK and there is relatively poor coverage for Basketball in the UK, so we don't get to see it. But your claim that 'Rugby has 100 but only about 10 countries take Rugby serious' is completely your interpretation! who are you to say that countries do or don't take a sport seriously?
Reply 70
Original post by yo radical one
Indians loves Cricket, so do Australians.

I agree Rugby is BS though

Rugby isn't BS at all! as aforementioned there are over 100 countries that play rugby as a international sport, many more than cricket!
Original post by lou1411
Rugby isn't BS at all! as aforementioned there are over 100 countries that play rugby as a international sport, many more than cricket!

A bunch of overweight "athletes" rolling around in the mud, hugging each others asses? Yeah, no thanks
A bunch of overweight "athletes" rolling around in the mud, hugging each others asses? Yeah, no thanks

At least the they can run, some of the guys in American Football run and need oxygen masks after that :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, let me just round up India's cricket stars and enter the WC:yy:
Reply 74
I'm an American and I live in the South, I cal it SOCCER ..S.O.C.C.E.R Get OVER IT I love the same game as you do, but we have our own football in America. IDK why Europeans get so bent out of shape over it. I swear the greatest pastime in Europe is complaining about what America does! LOL

you know the FIFA games... Do they call it FISA in America?
Original post by cBay
you know the FIFA games... Do they call it FISA in America?

They call it FIFA Soccer 14

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to make it about Black people (you spoke about African-Americans) I could just say that when African countries become wealthy, they will win the World Cup, because then they will be able to afford better training facilities. Or what about China or India, I'm sure if enough people in either of those countries got into football, they could find 11 players good enough to compete on that level.

That last bit, it's always baffled me how Mexico have never came close to winning the WC or even had a competitive team. They've not even won the Copa America.

120 million people, all football mad, yet can't produce a good team :confused:.

To put that in perspective, Argentina has a population of around 42 million (a third of Mexico's) yet they have won 16 major international honours (two World Cups 14 Copa Americas).

The mind boggles.
Reply 77
Original post by Wilfred Little
That last bit, it's always baffled me how Mexico have never came close to winning the WC or even had a competitive team. They've not even won the Copa America.

120 million people, all football mad, yet can't produce a good team :confused:.

To put that in perspective, Argentina has a population of around 42 million (a third of Mexico's) yet they have won 16 major international honours (two World Cups 14 Copa Americas).

The mind boggles.

Because Mexico isn't soccer crazy but incredibly nationalistic, people say it is soccer crazy because they always move a massive number of fans to events but that just isn't exclusive to soccer, actually if you watched a Mexican league game stadiums are always half-empty. Before 1986 Mexico's main sports were baseball and boxing it only changed after the WC that year and it exploded in 1994 when the MXNT made it to the final of Copa America, also you can't really compare it to south america, Argentina breathes and lives for soccer just like Uruguay and Brazil, it is an important part of their culture as a country while in Mexico it is just a sport.

Mexico has more in common to Japan when it comes to soccer: Both countries have a similar population, both started to care about the sport in the 90s, both have baseball and soccer competing for popularity, both are dominant forces on their weak confederations and both have just started to export players to Europe.

Remind me the audience figures for the Rugby World Cup compared to the basketball world cup?

Quick Reply

Latest