Is it selfish of me to ask my parents for a short holiday?

Watch
Lil08
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've not had a decent holiday in two years now. I spend most of my year in a small town, abroad. My degree is long and exhausting. I do not want to return home and spend time with family, it's depressing. I find London very boring and gloomy. I wish to go to a sunny place, where no one knows me.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The first and last holiday I asked my parents to pay for was when I was 15, earn your own holiday by working. And I'm not poor I'm provincial middle-class.
Lil08
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
The first and last holiday I asked my parents to pay for was when I was 15, earn your own holiday by working. And I'm not poor I'm provincial middle-class.
I dont have the engery to work. My degree is so exhausting.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lil08)
I dont have the engery to work. My degree is so exhausting.
Rubbish. Work in the summer. You're right to find it exhausting as I know what foreign degrees are like (hours similar to school, students kept by parents). Trust me I'm as lazy as the next student and my parents do give me a bit of money to help out (as the government expects from middle-class families) but I wouldn't feel entitled to a holiday without working for it.
Lil08
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Rubbish. Work in the summer. You're right to find it exhausting as I know what foreign degrees are like (hours similar to school, students kept by parents). Trust me I'm as lazy as the next student and my parents do give me a bit of money to help out (as the government expects from middle-class families) but I wouldn't feel entitled to a holiday without working for it.
As a student with no experience I would land a low paying one, which means working the entire summer. I don't want to burn out, I'm starting 5th year in september.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good grief what a selfish brat you are. Get off your rear end and get back to London for a part time job to earn your own cash for a holiday. There is nothing wrong with having a "low-paying one" - you might learn to have a little more respect for the rest of us plankton if you mixed with us at some point.

And how can you find London "boring and gloomy"
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on how well off they are, whether or not they'd be able to afford it. If they can, I wouldn't call it selfish. Depends on how you've been brought up really, some families are very independent and some like to look after each other.
iamintorture
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My parents have paid for everything I find it so weird that this is even a discussion. I've never paid for a single holiday.
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ask your parents, I wouldn't call you selfish - if they're willing to pay then what's the problem? You don't have to work if that's the case
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
If you were my daughter, you'd be getting a swift slap around the head and a lift to the job centre.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamintorture)
My parents have paid for everything I find it so weird that this is even a discussion. I've never paid for a single holiday.
Good for you Princess.
P357
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My parents would have paid,but then I'd feel rather guilty if they struggled to.So it depends on your family's financial situation no? If they find it hard to make ends meet then ofc you should get it funded independently.If they don't,then ask nicely.
username197472
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The last holiday my parents paid for was at 17. Since then I've been to Israel, Ireland and USA so haven't been too deprived.

Your parents in no way owe you a holiday. I'm guessing you're medicine but still get a job or sell stuff on ebay. I had a job since I was 16 for trips.

Why don't you take a camping trip? The weather is particularly lovely at the moment.
Squirb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamintorture)
Lol, some people just have no idea..

Posted from TSR Mobile
manchesterunited15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Good grief what a selfish brat you are. Get off your rear end and get back to London for a part time job to earn your own cash for a holiday. There is nothing wrong with having a "low-paying one" - you might learn to have a little more respect for the rest of us plankton if you mixed with us at some point.

And how can you find London "boring and gloomy"

Lol bit harsh. If her parents can afford and want to pay for a holiday, she doesn't need a job to pay for it, and that's fine.
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you study medicine abroad? I dunno if selfish is the right word depends on how generous and well -off they are my parrents wouldn't pay for me though.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends what your parents are like.

My parents love me, so they pay for holidays and I just take spending money or something. Considering how much they are earning, them spending £300 on flights and hotel for me to have fun going to Spain or France, isn't too much of a big deal. They also paid for me when we went on a family holiday to America. I contributed some money for brownie points and so my mum doesn't pull the "we paid for all this and this is how you treat us" line...but they didn't ask for any funding.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll be 20 when my parents take me to Morocco... I couldn't afford 11 days at 5 star all inclusives even if I did work all the hours under the sun! I think it's not right to ask though. I'd never ask for something like that, only gracefully accept holidays when they do come my way because there will be a point where they stop asking.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lil08)
I've not had a decent holiday in two years now. I spend most of my year in a small town, abroad. My degree is long and exhausting. I do not want to return home and spend time with family, it's depressing. I find London very boring and gloomy. I wish to go to a sunny place, where no one knows me.
hmm Im the same

altho its been longer...much longer...Im still reliant on my parents tho so...

haha p you think people know yeh in london its massive!:O
Shiroyuki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only parents who don't love their kids would tell them to get a job in the summer to pay for a holiday in that very same summer. :rolleyes:

My parents love me so they pay for me whenever they can...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (896)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed