The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Psychology 10th June 2014 Paper 2

That was an alright exam tbh. The last question was a bit predictable after looking at the papers we'd been given.
I was a bit surprised that there were 2 questions that linked to certain studies but didn't mention them. E.g. the one similar to Anderson & Dill where they played boxing and brain games, then measrued aggression.

And why was the last question 8 marks? I was told it was going to be 10 (I'm not complaining, just curious).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Craig1998
That was an alright exam tbh. The last question was a bit predictable after looking at the papers we'd been given.
I was a bit surprised that there were 2 questions that linked to certain studies but didn't mention them. E.g. the one similar to Anderson & Dill where they played boxing and brain games, then measrued aggression.

And why was the last question 8 marks? I was told it was going to be 10 (I'm not complaining, just curious).

Yeh I liked it too, yeah for some reason they changed it this year; made last q 8 marks lulz
Reply 2
Original post by j5994
Yeh I liked it too, yeah for some reason they changed it this year; made last q 8 marks lulz

What did you write on the study that linked to evolution and preparedness?
I realised half way through I got names mixed up :P
I wrote about the Bennet study... But I flopped tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Elizabeth_Mason

I said Bennett levy too:smile:)) what did you put for the last 8 marker???
I couldn't think of any thing at first for the evolution theory of preparedness and phobias. In the end after wasting almost 10 minutes i ended up writing about Mineka (the monkeys). Thought 1 or 2 of the questions were written a bit badly so it took me a few mins to work out what they meant.
Reply 6
Original post by Elizabeth_Mason

Oh god. I couldn't remember the name of that study so I changed it for another one and have just realised thats to do with dreams.

Would I get marks for getting the rest of the info (aim, procedure, results and/or conclusion) right? The examiner will know I was on about Bennett-Levy and Marteau right?
This exam was great
I know this sounds stupid but one the tickbox question that asked what type of question 'Are you afraid of..?' Was it open or closed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by beckyrebecca
This exam was great
I know this sounds stupid but one the tickbox question that asked what type of question 'Are you afraid of..?' Was it open or closed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't it are you afraid of cats or something? Anyway, closed. Cause you can only answer yes or no (or something very limited, if it were open, it would be something more like why are you afraid of cats).
This was a good paper. Nice questions, did anyone else write about family patterns for one social cause of criminality?
Wasn't it are you afraid of cats or something? Anyway, closed. Cause you can only answer yes or no (or something very limited, if it were open, it would be something more like why are you afraid of cats).

Oh good I put this. I just thought it could be open as they could say stuff like 'maybe' or 'sort of'.
What sort of grade are you hoping for in psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeniOyewumi
This was a good paper. Nice questions, did anyone else write about family patterns for one social cause of criminality?

I wrote about family size

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote about family size

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the whole 8 marks? I checked my textbook, family pattern counts as one social cause e.g. divorce, maternal deprivation, work, family size.
Reply 13
For the whole 8 marks? I checked my textbook, family pattern counts as one social cause e.g. divorce, maternal deprivation, work, family size.

Does SLT count?
Does SLT count?

Well it depends, how did you explain it? Because Family patterns, self-fulfilling prophecy are all under the social learning theory, you had to talk about only 1 of them.
Reply 15
Oh good I put this. I just thought it could be open as they could say stuff like 'maybe' or 'sort of'.
What sort of grade are you hoping for in psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing it at college so hopefully A. I did a test last year for perception, got an A*, it just went down from there but then back up. When we've done mocks in class, I've tended to get A's. I'd be extremely happy with an A* though, but I know I won't get one.

Yeah I filled up both sides, probably got 6 maybe 7 marks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing it at college so hopefully A. I did a test last year for perception, got an A*, it just went down from there but then back up. When we've done mocks in class, I've tended to get A's. I'd be extremely happy with an A* though, but I know I won't get one.

Hopefully you will get that then! I didn't get to do unit 1 last year just done both this year and I'm hoping for an a* but I'd be happy with an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
what were u meant to say about Emily and her aggression caused by TV (SLT) I could hardly think of anything to say except role models and identification
Reply 19
Well it depends, how did you explain it? Because Family patterns, self-fulfilling prophecy are all under the social learning theory, you had to talk about only 1 of them.

The description was a bit general really. I went through different bits about SLT and linked them with criminality as I went on. On the evaluation, it was definitely more indepth, 2 strengths 2 weaknesses.

The entire of Unit 2 is based on the nature-nurture debate. SLT is really significant on the nurture side so using it to explain aggression, phobias or criminality should suffice.

Anyway, it's too late if I've done it wrong now, I've got two more exams to focus on.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest