The Student Room Group

Need to read a book in a day. Any ideas on how to do it?

When i read for 20 mins, i always fall asleep, now i'm stuck as i have an exam in a couple of days and need to read the book. I'm okay with content etc but just need to sit down and read it. I've been thinking about doing it in 30 min blocks. What do you think?

Its an incredibly hard book to read (Virgils Aeneid)
If it has chapters, read a chapter at a time then take a break to do something you enjoy. Relentless reading just fries your brain so space it out as much as possible.
Buy a chocolate bar, break up the segments, divide the segments between each chapter (better to buy a bigger bar) and use as an incentive. Always works for me hahah :') or just try reading it aloud and visualise it in your head, usually works when I'm trying to engage with a book and not get distracted :smile:)
lucozade and lots of it. and classical music may help
Reply 4
There's reading and reading effectively. Start reading the book, after each page has been read recall as much information as you can. Find your optimal point of reading to retaking information and use that as a structure to read.

Let's be honest. One day is ambitious even for an academic.
I tend to jot down notes of quotes that I think are important as I read through, or just little summaries of what I have read. That way I know I am paying attention to what I am reading :smile:

Also, is it by any chance the AQA Classics exam?
I've done it! Thanks for the help. Needed to know 10 chapters. Fell asleep last night reading 1-4. Then spend most of the day reading chapters 5-12.

Now i'm just going over quotes. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by RainReader
I tend to jot down notes of quotes that I think are important as I read through, or just little summaries of what I have read. That way I know I am paying attention to what I am reading :smile:

Also, is it by any chance the AQA Classics exam?

Yeah, Missed alot of the smaller supernatural/Divine interventions etc so needed to extract them from the text as a whole.

Are you doing the exam tomorrow? I dreaded picking up the book again as theres just too much information to consume. Good luck in any case.
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by Thestudentreem

Its an incredibly hard book to read (Virgils Aeneid)

*facepalm*

If it was incredibly hard, why did you leave it to today?

I've read the book and it was fantastic to read. Can't imagine taking anything substantial in terms of content (or even enjoying it anywhere near as much as I did) if I was so forced to read it within such little time.
Original post by NikolaT
*facepalm*

If it was incredibly hard, why did you leave it to today?

I've read the book and it was fantastic to read. Can't imagine taking anything substantial in terms of content (or even enjoying it anywhere near as much as I did) if I was so forced to read it within such little time.

See, i've read it twice before in class. Now its a drag. I'm sure you would have felt the same way if you had read it twice before.

Thats you. I'm like a sponge the day before an exam. So....
See, i've read it twice before in class. Now its a drag. I'm sure you would have felt the same way if you had read it twice before.

Thats you. I'm like a sponge the day before an exam. So....

Surely you know the significant points of it if you've read it twice. Just skimread it. Or try spreeding.

Not sure as to the structure of your exam, but maybe eliminate the parts of the text which came up in the last series of your exam (June 13, probably).

In any case, staying on TSR for much longer will probably not help.
Yeah, Missed alot of the smaller supernatural/Divine interventions etc so needed to extract them from the text as a whole.

Are you doing the exam tomorrow? I dreaded picking up the book again as theres just too much information to consume. Good luck in any case.

Yes, I did the exam today. Agreed, there is quite a lot to remember- especially with context on top of everything. I found I was fine up until Book 6 and then the events of the books in the second half all seemed to merge together!

I hope it went okay for you :smile:
Original post by RainReader
Yes, I did the exam today. Agreed, there is quite a lot to remember- especially with context on top of everything. I found I was fine up until Book 6 and then the events of the books in the second half all seemed to merge together!

I hope it went okay for you :smile:

Hey yeah! I think it went fine. I basically knew the book inside out, upside down, but that Tarquin question threw me off, So i chose the one about book 2. Then the essays were cool i think. So overall, a good paper i hope.

What q's did ya choose?
Hey yeah! I think it went fine. I basically knew the book inside out, upside down, but that Tarquin question threw me off, So i chose the one about book 2. Then the essays were cool i think. So overall, a good paper i hope.

What q's did ya choose?

I chose the same. I think I would have spent too much time trying to construct an argument for the other 20 mark question.

I chose the Aeneas/hero question for Section B. I thought that was a really good question- I'm just not sure about the quality of my answer! I don't know that I wrote enough for my counter-argument, but we shall see. How about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest