complex analysis - tricky question on poles.

Watch this thread
The Racist Dragon
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Let f and g be functions with a pole at c. Create rules (and prove them) about how we can combine f and g at c.

and ii: Find the poles of the function :
\frac{cotz+cosz}{sin2z}

and classify these poles using part i.

I have attempted this, but I keep getting poles of negative order in part ii and my course apparently doesn't focus on poles of negative order so I must have gone wrong somewhere!
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Racist Dragon)
Let f and g be functions with a pole at c. Create rules (and prove them) about how we can combine f and g at c.

and ii: Find the poles of the function :
\frac{cotz+cosz}{sin2z}

and classify these poles using part i.

I have attempted this, but I keep getting poles of negative order in part ii and my course apparently doesn't focus on poles of negative order so I must have gone wrong somewhere!
Have you started by rewriting cot z = cos z / sin z and sin2z = 2sinzcosz and simplifying?
The Racist Dragon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by davros)
Have you started by rewriting cot z = cos z / sin z and sin2z = 2sinzcosz and simplifying?
*sigh* that's probably where I went wrong, I simplified most of it but forgot that sin2z=2sinzcosz, but is it legal to expand sin2z too? There was nothing wrong with the taylor series for sin2z..!
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
*sigh* that's probably where I went wrong, I simplified most of it but forgot that sin2z=2sinzcosz, but is it legal to expand sin2z too? There was nothing wrong with the taylor series for sin2z..!
Oh I'm sure it's "legal" to expand sin2z - I just tend to rewrite things in terms of "basic" functions that make things (hopefully) more transparent!
Smaug123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, that identity holds even for complex z. Cancelling a sin from top and bottom is just like using x instead of x^2/x - it's just as legal as that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads