The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
generalebriety
Remarks aren't for illness. That's what special consideration before the exam is for.

I believe this was my point. :rolleyes:
So we're agreed?

That was easy.
Reply 62
One mark off an A in French - no point geting a remark becase i did 4 subjects for A2 and got AAA in the others so meh.
Reply 63
I was 2 marks off a b in chemistry and 6 off an a in biology, im just going to retake the paper i did worst on again to try and bump up the grades rather than go for a remark, i reckon i have a better chance of improving my grade this way. Will a retake count against me though when appling to university?
Spiffy
I was 2 marks off a b in chemistry and 6 off an a in biology, im just going to retake the paper i did worst on again to try and bump up the grades rather than go for a remark, i reckon i have a better chance of improving my grade this way. Will a retake count against me though when appling to university?

no def. not. if anything it will show dedication!
I was 2 UMS off an A in physics, how do I actually go about getting a remark on my dismil module 6. Do I need to ring the exam board or is it entirely down to the college to get the ball rolling?
castroneves
I was 2 UMS off an A in physics, how do I actually go about getting a remark on my dismil module 6. Do I need to ring the exam board or is it entirely down to the college to get the ball rolling?

you have to do it through your college.
Reply 67
IMportant question:

Do the examiners who remark your paper actually know how far or near you are to achieving an A or your UMS mark total?

If they do, then they may be more sympathetic to some and less to others. Although, strictly speaking they shouldn't be.

Hopefully they don't know.
Reply 68
generalebriety
I can see how it might be worth it. But look at the other threads around here. I currently have people slagging me off for a thread where the OP was seven marks off an A. That is not going to get marked up to an A. It's not a substitute for bad revision.

As I said.
*ahem*... no. I was 10 marks off an A in english lit at AS, and it got remarked to more than 20 ABOVE an A... that is a jump of 30.

I suppose if I revised better I wouldn't have needed a remark :rolleyes:
Reply 69
JohnC
*ahem*... no. I was 10 marks off an A in english lit at AS, and it got remarked to more than 20 ABOVE an A... that is a jump of 30.

not necessarily, because liek you said you jumped 30 marks which is like agrade lol.
Blat
IMportant question:

Do the examiners who remark your paper actually know how far or near you are to achieving an A or your UMS mark total?

If they do, then they may be more sympathetic to some and less to others. Although, strictly speaking they shouldn't be.

Hopefully they don't know.

They don't. They only remark the module you tell them to.

JohnC

I suppose if you'd read my posts better you wouldn't have needed to talk a load of sarcastic ****e at me. :rolleyes:
generalebriety
Nothing. Fact is a lot of people do honestly believe remarks are for changing your mark. If I got one mark off an A in any of my subjects there's no way I'd believe a mistake had been made, unless it was one of my very good subjects. I'd believe I messed up a question or something, unless my module scores were anomalous. It's either a sign of extreme arrogance that they're doing this - if they honestly do believe they couldn't possibly have got a B - or they're just not thinking it through, which is my point.
Reply 71
Synergetic
If its AS - I don't really see the point - you might be equally likely to drop marks or gain marks. Unless you feel that the exam went really well - I really don't see the point in it. For A2 - that's a different matter entirely - people's Uni places are at stake.

Maybe because you have to put the grade down on your UCAS form? It may decide if you get a preliminary place at a uni instead of ringing them after the A2's looking for a place. Has anyone had a Maths paper go up? I'm getting mine remarked and I hope it goes up by around 7-8 marks.
I sent for a clerical check on my chemsitry coursework (an E amongst As in all my other modules!) - I had an A overall anyway, but I wasnt having them give me an E for almost 3 months of the hardest work ive ever done (Salters Independent Investigation if it means anything to you - 119 pages, almost killed me :s-smilie:)

Ive got an A for it now though :biggrin: - went up 51UMS lol!
Reply 73
Does anyone know how long it takes (approx) for examiners to remark a paper? My exam officer apparently asked for one of my exam papers to be remarked on Monday 21st August. How long will I have to wait?
Reply 74
catherine2772
I sent for a clerical check on my chemsitry coursework (an E amongst As in all my other modules!) - I had an A overall anyway, but I wasnt having them give me an E for almost 3 months of the hardest work ive ever done (Salters Independent Investigation if it means anything to you - 119 pages, almost killed me :s-smilie:)

Ive got an A for it now though :biggrin: - went up 51UMS lol!

youve already got ur remark back:eek: woah that was super quick. You are talking about this year arent u?
I agree with generalebriety. In my opinion, you should only get a remark if you and your teachers honestly believe the examiners have made a mistake and you deserved a much higher grade. For example, I got a D in AS history module when I'd been getting As and Bs all year and thought the exam had gone well, so I had it remarked. This year I got Us in 2 history modules and I'm pretty sure I didn't deserve them, so again, I'm having them remarked. But I was 4 marks off an A in English lit A-level, which cost me my place at my firm uni, and I'm not getting any of the papers remarked. Why? Because I was expecting a high B and I accept the fact that I didn't deserve an A. People who get remarks just because they were a few marks off the next grade should stop abusing the system and wasting money by getting remarks and instead either resit or accept the grade they did get.
Guys! Remarks do sometimes work! Please ignore generalebriety's advice.
My unit 5 in chemistry went up 5 marks and I am on an A now! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Widowmaker
Guys! Remarks do sometimes work!
My unit 5 in chemistry went up 5 marks and I am on an A now! :biggrin:

Aww! Congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 78
I agree with the fact that people abuse the system, but the system isn't fair to begin with. Some people get into good schools just because their brother or sister went there. Some people end up having a subsitute teacher for the year. Nothing is fair, it's all a big game and you have to play it correctly. I got BBBC but I felt I deserved better so I'm getting two remarks, hopinh to get AABC. I remember in my stats module I made silly mistakes that I wouldn't normally make, only realising as soon as I step out of the building. Without even speaking to anyone I realised I lost around 8 marks because of the pressure situation, leaving me with a B instead of an A. I'm hoping to get a remark onto an A and I feel I deserve it because I actually KNEW how to answer the question but I choked under the pressure.
Reply 79
Laker_Fan
I agree with the fact that people abuse the system, but the system isn't fair to begin with. Some people end up having a subsitute teacher for the year. Nothing is fair, it's all a big game and you have to play it correctly.

I had 10 different English Literature teachers throughout my A Level course!! 10!!!! :eek:

But still managed to get 586/600 overall - a really high A. So I am pleased with myself :smile:

Latest