Information For those planning on doing a Motorbike test Watch

Pseudomuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Direct Access (DAS). you must be over 21 to do this. its the direct access course which means your trained up on a 500cc motorbike unresticted, and the CBT is included. you do your test on the 500cc and your allowed to jump on any bike. but this is only for over 21s

the first step indoing your test is you will need to do is to a CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) once you pass this your allowed to ride a motorcycle upto 125cc, with L-plates.

Full motorcycle test (usuallt done for under 21's or those who dont do the direct access course

to do a motorbike test (not DAS) you will have to do a theory and a CBT (if you havnt done one). you will do your test on a 125cc bike. and after you pass your test (you can throw away those nasty L-Plates.) you will be subject to a power restriction of 33 Break Horsepower for 2 years. after the 2 years restriction end you are a lowed to ride any bike size and power you want.

if you have any questions, queries and problems. PM me! :cool:

alternativly you can always ask a question at the TSR Motorbike Society

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1446138
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you need to do a test even if you have a full UK manual license or can u jus do a CBT day course?
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
Do you need to do a test even if you have a full UK manual license or can u jus do a CBT day course?
even if you have a full uk driving licence you need to CBT before you take a motorbike test.

the rules used to be if you had you full driving licence before 1997 (i think) you could automatically ride a motorbike up to 125cc, but now you still have to do do a CBT
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cheers.
OFI
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
If you have already done the CBT before but it has expired (only lasts 2 years I think) will you have to redo this as part of the DAC?

Forgot that I was nearly 21 I could go for DAC :P

Oh and what is the usual cost for a DAC course I heard it had gone up alot...
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by OFI)
If you have already done the CBT before but it has expired (only lasts 2 years I think) will you have to redo this as part of the DAC?

Forgot that I was nearly 21 I could go for DAC :P

Oh and what is the usual cost for a DAC course I heard it had gone up alot...
if your CBT expires before you taking the direct access you will have to take it again!

i have no idea how much it costs, but i think it's in the region of 300-600 quid :eek:
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Question.... My boyfriend has a full Uk bike licence, therefore has done his bike theory and hazzard perception test and passed... he now wants to learnt to drive as well as ye old winter nights are upon us and bus fares are ridiculously high where we live £14 for a week and they only show every hour and stop after 11pm... ANYWAY!! The question is will he have to retake a CAR hazzord perception and theory test or does his bike one suffice?? The theory was taken in April.
Please help because the DSA has been none to helpful (b**tards)
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by candy_foss)
Question.... My boyfriend has a full Uk bike licence, therefore has done his bike theory and hazzard perception test and passed... he now wants to learnt to drive as well as ye old winter nights are upon us and bus fares are ridiculously high where we live £14 for a week and they only show every hour and stop after 11pm... ANYWAY!! The question is will he have to retake a CAR hazzord perception and theory test or does his bike one suffice?? The theory was taken in April.
Please help because the DSA has been none to helpful (b**tards)
yes. he needs to do a seprate theory for his driving test
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cheers for getting back to me!! Oh he will be pleased!! lol
BBGirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've just passed my driving test (automatic car)...want to take a bike test too. I'm 32, what would be the best thing for me to do?

Thanks.
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBGirl)
I've just passed my driving test (automatic car)...want to take a bike test too. I'm 32, what would be the best thing for me to do?

Thanks.
depends really on what you want to do... jump straight on to big bikes, in which case, the direct access if for you. or if your not fussed you can do just the normal test and be resricted to 33 bhp for 2 years!

if your not to sure about gears you can do a moped test, whcih is usually for automatics, but you'll find that most automatic bikes are mopeds/scooters
BBGirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nooooooooo, don't like mopeds/scooters! Will hopefully be buying my brother-in-laws Honda, 125cc and cbr 125. So i guess its the DAS for me.
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBGirl)
Nooooooooo, don't like mopeds/scooters! Will hopefully be buying my brother-in-laws Honda, 125cc and cbr 125. So i guess its the DAS for me.
Good! (mopeds suck :p: )
Deus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to get some sort of restrictor removal permit or something. By that I mean that you can drive a 600cc unrestricted before the two years after getting your license.

Myth or truth?
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deus)
I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to get some sort of restrictor removal permit or something. By that I mean that you can drive a 600cc unrestricted before the two years after getting your license.

Myth or truth?
hmmm, im not sure about that, but if you've got a restrictor kit in your bike, and the documentation, you can illigally take out the restrictor kit yourself. whoch alot of people do. however, if you crash and write of your bike and they find that there is no restrictor kit in your bike, then they wont pay out.
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can the police not immediately see if the restrictor kit is there?

Also, how does the whole *2 year* system work. I got my license 23/11/06. Does that mean that on 23/11/08 I can drive a motorbike above 25kW? Or do I have to go somewhere and get my license changed, etc?
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
I don't know what the rule is for those who aquired there licence originally from a country outside the EU.

and no the police can't tell, unless they take your bike apart and have a look at your carberetta.

usuallt they can tell if a 50cc moped has been derestricted because they are usually louder and they some times need a sport exaust, but with bikes its aot more difficult to spot
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well let's assume I got my license in the UK. What's the procedure in the UK?
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deus)
Well let's assume I got my license in the UK. What's the procedure in the UK?
You'd be restricted for two years because your under 21
Deus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay so in the UK I would need to go to some sort of admistration place after two years and get the license "upgraded"?

The two year system is the same here in Switzerland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.64%
No (521)
72.36%

Watched Threads