The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics P1 12/06/2014

Hi. :smile: The P1 exam is on Thursday so I thought we could ask eachother questions to get any help we may need and to aid revision.

Also, if anyone has any useful P1 resources/notes they wouldn't mind sharing here that'd be great!

Here's some questions from the spec:
1. How to reduce the energy transfer from a building.
2. What is the role of free electrons in conduction through a metal?
3. Explain evaporation and the cooling effect this causes using the kinetic theory.
4. Define: payback time.
5. Compare the use of different types of waves for communication (sound/light/microwaves/radiowaves/infrared)
6. Evaluate the possible risks involving the use of mobile phones

I'll post more later. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

what's the answer to 5 and 6? :smile:
Original post by olivialloyd

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking haha. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
any ideas of what the six mark question might be on?
Original post by olivialloyd

5. Different wavelengths have different properties. Long wavelength (radio) detracts round the earth, whilst short(er) wavelength (microwave) reflects of ionosphere. Infra red used in optical fibres and TV remotes.

6. Microwaves heat water and can destroy cells (think microwave). Mobile phones use microwaves, oh no my heads been fried! Most scientists call BS, but not 100% sure. If this come up it will be a source based question.
Oh cr*p I forgot about this exam! I need to start revising :/
Original post by Pikki1234
any ideas of what the six mark question might be on?

Bump...
Original post by machete-monster1
Bump...

There is literally an indefinite list. Just flick through a CGP book and learn it. They could be anything from is nuclear power better than coal, how does red shift support the BBT to describe hoe to insulate a house. Just got to learn the stuff.
Who has the Jan 2014 P1 paper?
Reply 9
what are the main thing i need to know about red shift?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYS-W-SP-14.PDF

Use the Specification :smile:
If you go onto and hit CTRL+F and then type shift
You can scan the specification for red shift and it will tell what you need to know. Hope it helps :P
Original post by itzmankit
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/aqa-phys-w-sp-14.pdf

use the specification :smile:
if you go onto and hit ctrl+f and then type shift
you can scan the specification for red shift and it will tell what you need to know. Hope it helps :tongue:

yeah boi i'm scanning this till 3am
Reply 13
Original post by ZE BADMAN

That it is caused by galaxies travelling away from Earth. The bigger the red shift, the more the waves are spread out and the further away the galaxy- it is also moving faster than galaxies that have been less red shifted. Learn the Doppler effect (same sort of thing) as they will probably relate red shift to that. :smile:
Original post by ZE BADMAN

Original post by AvM4N
That it is caused by galaxies travelling away from Earth. The bigger the red shift, the more the waves are spread out and the further away the galaxy- it is also moving faster than galaxies that have been less red shifted. Learn the Doppler effect (same sort of thing) as they will probably relate red shift to that. :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think red shift actually is caused by galaxies, its just an effect.
AQA-MPH1HP-W-MS-Jan14 (5).pdf

and here is what everyone has been waiting for.....
The mark scheme for jan 2014 paper, i promised at 6 so here it is...

Now up, please give me lots of rep!!!, good luck tomorrow guys!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by skyman123
AND HERE IS WHAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR.....
THE MARK SCHEME FOR JAN 2014 PAPER, I PROMISED AT 6 SO HERE IT IS...
i hve the mark shceme but cannot upload it? an help

THANK YOU!!!! To attach it, you need to make a new post, and click on the icon that looks like a paperclip and a piece of paper in the first row of icons. Once you click it, a window will pop up and all you need to do is press "choose file", find the mark scheme on your computer, and press OK :smile:
Original post by machete-monster1
THANK YOU!!!! To attach it, you need to make a new post, and click on the icon that looks like a paperclip and a piece of paper in the first row of icons. Once you click it, a window will pop up and all you need to do is press "choose file", find the mark scheme on your computer, and press OK :smile:

By a new post, I meant a reply :P
AAAAND I'm just realised that you've attached it! Sorry and thanks!
Original post by skyman123
AQA-MPH1HP-W-MS-Jan14 (5).pdf

and here is what everyone has been waiting for.....
The mark scheme for jan 2014 paper, i promised at 6 so here it is...

Now up, please give me lots of rep!!!, good luck tomorrow guys!!!

Nice job (will give rep later, have 'run out' now! lol)

Quick Reply

Latest