Making other subject choices... Watch

Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just wondering when you pick your other subjects for first year? Do you get paperwork through the post or do you decide when you actually enroll in person during Freshers? It's just that I'm going away (with my parents, so nobody who can officially reply for me) on Thursday for 10 days so need to get on the phone to the department if you have to reply about them soon. Thanks for any help!
p.pete
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elusive Moose)
Just wondering when you pick your other subjects for first year? Do you get paperwork through the post or do you decide when you actually enroll in person during Freshers? It's just that I'm going away (with my parents, so nobody who can officially reply for me) on Thursday for 10 days so need to get on the phone to the department if you have to reply about them soon. Thanks for any help!
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/schoolsandd...atalogues.html

There's a document linked on that page - "Free Standing Module Catalogue (Year One Students)" - hopefully there's relevant information for you there. Not too sure about the process, don't think I'm required to select any myself...
gingerhobbit
Report 12 years ago
Not sure if this is relevant from the Enrolment FAQ?

What is the Free-Standing Module Fair?

Students on some Undergraduate programmes of study are allowed the opportunity to take 'free-standing' modules from outside of their School. If you are eligible to take these modules, it will be indicated with a link on your Enrolment Timetable. The Free-Standing Module Catalogue gives details of modules on offer and how to select them. You can then sign up for these modules with School representatives at the Free-Standing Module Fair on Wednesday 27 September in the Concert Hall, Music Building (map ref: 23) at 1.15pm.
If not, then the Humanities and Social Studies Year 1 Guide may be what you're looking for?
chel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry you don't have to make your decision till Fresher's fortnight. Saying that it would probably be sensible to have a think about what you want to decide though as it's fairly important in terms of how you enjoy your first year and it's going to be another thing you don't want to be dealing with your first week in university.

ps. I took History, English Literature and Ancient History so if you are interested in these and there are any questions you want to ask me just pm me
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chel)
Don't worry you don't have to make your decision till Fresher's fortnight. Saying that it would probably be sensible to have a think about what you want to decide though as it's fairly important in terms of how you enjoy your first year and it's going to be another thing you don't want to be dealing with your first week in university.

ps. I took History, English Literature and Ancient History so if you are interested in these and there are any questions you want to ask me just pm me
Yeah, you sign up for them once you get there. You'll be given details about where/when. English students are recommended to do one of either cult crit or medieval and renaissance lit, but not everyone does. One bit of advice though, if you want to do cult crit or journalism, film and media, get there early!!! I can't stress that enough. Last year, all the journalism places were filled by about 10am, and I had to queue for about 3 hours for cult crit (although they promised it would be more organised this year!). They're the two most popular extra subjects, and I think History is quite popular too, but they're the only ones that had to turn people away last year i think. Any ideas as to what you want to do?
Elusive Moose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I definitely want to do cultural criticism so looks like it'll be an early start for me! I was considering German but after a bit of a shocking A2 year in it, I'm thinking Journalism would probably be a better choice, unless something else in the booklet catches my eye! Would you recommend them, or doing them together though?
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elusive Moose)
I definitely want to do cultural criticism so looks like it'll be an early start for me! I was considering German but after a bit of a shocking A2 year in it, I'm thinking Journalism would probably be a better choice, unless something else in the booklet catches my eye! Would you recommend them, or doing them together though?
Loads of English Lit students choose cult crit and JFM, they're def the two most popular subjects so you'll know lots of people doing the same thing, which I found quite nice. I'd recommend both.

JFM was really really interesting in the first semester, and you'll get Justin Lewis who is the best lecturer i've had at Cardiff so far. He always shows film clips and things to make the two hour lecture not seem so long! The first term is all about the history of media and mass communication, learning about tv, radio, newspaper, globalisation, and the barbie doll among other things! You get to do a piece of coursework on anything you like, and the exam is really easy too. The second semester focuses on film; it isn't as interesting but you get film screenings every week to watch.

Cult crit I think a lot of people either love or hate it. You'll definately get sick of the word postmodernity! The first semester is very abstract, and you'll probably find yourself thinking what's the point of this, but some very interesting topics come up, especially in the second semester when you focus on race, sexuality, gender, etc. There's no exams, and people tend to score high marks in the essays, I got higher in all four cult crit ones than I did in my English one. You get to watch some films like Pulp Fiction too (which I wrote an essay on). There's weekly reading, but it's often not more than about 5-10 pages.

I think those three go well together because there's a lot of overlap. Like in cult crit one essay was written on a book we read, so lit skills came in handy! Likewise, you study film in cult crit and JFM. And there's some theorists/theories that you learn about that appear in more than one. But then again I'm sure something like German would go well too, it's completely up to you. I really enjoyed JFM so I'm really glad I took that. I was unsure about cult crit, but then ended up really enjoying that too.

Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helped a bit, let me know if you have any more questions. I like passing my 'widom' on!
demonbuttercup
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gingerhobbit)

If not, then the Humanities and Social Studies Year 1 Guide may be what you're looking for?
Do we receive a paper copy of this in the post sometime? I'm sure that someone told me at the open day that we're sent a brochure detailing the extra subjects so we can decide over the summer what we want to take? Hmmm
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, I got sent one in the post. I can't remember when it was but I'm sure you'll get it soon!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (192)
18.64%
No (624)
60.58%
Not really bothered about them (214)
20.78%

Watched Threads