meglouisep
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If you're taking geography AS/A level I have a few questions
1) what is the workload like, such as homework and classwork
2) how is it compared to GCSE
3) what you like and dislike about it
jwf13
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
1) The workload is pretty light compared to other subjects- I got about two research pieces a week, and an essay per fortnight, although closer to exams this increased. The actually content is not too bad, there's far more to learn than at GCSE (although this may be different as the GCSE spec changed from 2012 start), but as long as you've got a decent memory you'll be fine.

2) As I've said, this is difficult to judge because the GCSE syllabus has changed for current Year 11s compared to what I did last year, but I'd say geography was a relatively natural progression. The main difference is the A-Level is mostly essays, although the first paper has short answer questions like the GCSE. The main difference is you need to know more specific data/case studies, and there's more transferable stuff- for me, at GCSE there was Topic A- Case Study A, Topic B- Case Study B etc., while at AS you can use different case studies for different topics and units. Most of the content is just an expansion of GCSE, although you do get into new topics by AS unit 2 and A2 units.

3) What I like about it: Really interesting topics, covers a wide base that you can expand upon with extra reading, exam is relatively painless compared to some others
What I dislike about it: Not much! At AS, some of the stuff is rushed/skimped on, but I think at A2 things get more in depth (according to my teacher.)

I would definitely recommend it though, I really enjoy it
meglouisep
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by jwf13)
1) The workload is pretty light compared to other subjects- I got about two research pieces a week, and an essay per fortnight, although closer to exams this increased. The actually content is not too bad, there's far more to learn than at GCSE (although this may be different as the GCSE spec changed from 2012 start), but as long as you've got a decent memory you'll be fine.

2) As I've said, this is difficult to judge because the GCSE syllabus has changed for current Year 11s compared to what I did last year, but I'd say geography was a relatively natural progression. The main difference is the A-Level is mostly essays, although the first paper has short answer questions like the GCSE. The main difference is you need to know more specific data/case studies, and there's more transferable stuff- for me, at GCSE there was Topic A- Case Study A, Topic B- Case Study B etc., while at AS you can use different case studies for different topics and units. Most of the content is just an expansion of GCSE, although you do get into new topics by AS unit 2 and A2 units.

3) What I like about it: Really interesting topics, covers a wide base that you can expand upon with extra reading, exam is relatively painless compared to some others
What I dislike about it: Not much! At AS, some of the stuff is rushed/skimped on, but I think at A2 things get more in depth (according to my teacher.)

I would definitely recommend it though, I really enjoy it
Thankyou this was really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads