Sociology as/a level Watch

meglouisep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
if you take sociology what are your thoughts about it, do you like it? what is the workload like? is it interesting?
Jasmineadams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, this year I did AS and A2 at the same time, which i think for subjects like sociology and humanities makes more sense. Everything interlinks, and many of the same theorists come up in different topics. AS is pretty easy, but don't get tricked into thinking you can learn it all in 3 weeks. Its a subject with a lot of content, and the exams arent very long. If you have more than 5 minutes spare something has gone wrong.
Best advise I would say is know how you are going to revise at exams, and make your notes according to that revision type. For example, i learn through brainstorms and planning every possible question I can. print out all the exam papers you can at the beginning of AS, over the summer, and as you go along, plan answers for those questions.

As for interesting, you are going to enjoy some topics more than others. I hated the topic we had the exam for today, media, but I love crime and deviance which is next week.

Hope that helped! Im happy to answer any questions
meglouisep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmineadams)
Hi, this year I did AS and A2 at the same time, which i think for subjects like sociology and humanities makes more sense. Everything interlinks, and many of the same theorists come up in different topics. AS is pretty easy, but don't get tricked into thinking you can learn it all in 3 weeks. Its a subject with a lot of content, and the exams arent very long. If you have more than 5 minutes spare something has gone wrong.
Best advise I would say is know how you are going to revise at exams, and make your notes according to that revision type. For example, i learn through brainstorms and planning every possible question I can. print out all the exam papers you can at the beginning of AS, over the summer, and as you go along, plan answers for those questions.

As for interesting, you are going to enjoy some topics more than others. I hated the topic we had the exam for today, media, but I love crime and deviance which is next week.

Hope that helped! Im happy to answer any questions
Thankyou for the reply IF i decide to take it the topics we will be doing are family, education, crime and deviance and religion! have you done any of these what did you think?
Jasmineadams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is sociology competing with in other subjects? Thats important. Don't do 4 essay subjects you'll hate yourself in may and June. I did education and crime. Education, honestly, learn the textbook off by heart and find some good present day stats to analyse. E. G. If education is British based, why do those not from Britain (usually asians) fair better in exams?
Deviance requires way more research, but if your teacher is capable they will give you the resources.
meglouisep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmineadams)
What is sociology competing with in other subjects? Thats important. Don't do 4 essay subjects you'll hate yourself in may and June. I did education and crime. Education, honestly, learn the textbook off by heart and find some good present day stats to analyse. E. G. If education is British based, why do those not from Britain (usually asians) fair better in exams?
Deviance requires way more research, but if your teacher is capable they will give you the resources.

Im only doing 3 subjects, Im definitely doing history, then I'm deciding 2 out of geography, law and sociology so they're all pretty much all essays i believe
iJess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meglouisep)
Thankyou for the reply IF i decide to take it the topics we will be doing are family, education, crime and deviance and religion! have you done any of these what did you think?
At my sixth form we could take an extra A level where we'd only need to learn two topics for the exam. I did identity and culture and Family and I found the family topic very enjoyable
meglouisep
Rep:
?
(Original post by iJess)
At my sixth form we could take an extra A level where we'd only need to learn two topics for the exam. I did identity and culture and Family and I found the family topic very enjoyable
ooh right! thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (100)
16.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (63)
10.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (105)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (90)
15.15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (59)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (177)
29.8%

Watched Threads