The Student Room Group

Uni of exeter ba english. Gcse+as requirement confusion :(

Hello my lovely people of TSR,

I have fallen in love with the University of Exeter's BA English course. The variety is just so extensive-I love it! I'm currently in year 11, nearly at the end of finishing my exams. Being quite ambitious, I could get 3 A*s (inc Eng Lit and Lang) 4/5 As and a couple of Bs. I'm taking English Lit, English Lang, History and Sociology for A level. I have already started preparing for my AS levels as I'm aware I will obviously need to 'hit the ground running.'

Was wondering if anyone could answer these:

1. How many people do Exeter take on for the Q300 course?
2. If you study English there now- what is it like?
3. Do you think my GCSE grades are too low to apply there?
4. Why is there such a 'rich-kid' image at Exeter? (just curious)
5. Even though the offers for English range from A*AA-AAB do you stand a chance with AAB?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP MEH. Thank you X
Original post by LuceBear

I have fallen in love with the University of Exeter's BA English course. The variety is just so extensive-I love it! I'm currently in year 11, nearly at the end of finishing my exams. Being quite ambitious, I could get 3 A*s (inc Eng Lit and Lang) 4/5 As and a couple of Bs. I'm taking English Lit, English Lang, History and Sociology for A level. I have already started preparing for my AS levels as I'm aware I will obviously need to 'hit the ground running.'

5. Even though the offers for English range from A*AA-AAB do you stand a chance with AAB?

I can't answer all your questions but can answer the ones generally on Exeter. I have put Exeter as my insurance and they offered me AAB after thinking they would want AAA. Your GCSE's are fine to apply, you will get people applying with 8 or 9 a*s and people applying with 6 A's and 4 B's. All of which have a chance. As for the rich kid image , there certainly is one but I think the uni is diverse and not as 'rich Kiddish' as some of the others: I had an interview at Oxford after all ! They're not all the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by chrisedgar
I can't answer all your questions but can answer the ones generally on Exeter. I have put Exeter as my insurance and they offered me AAB after thinking they would want AAA. Your GCSE's are fine to apply, you will get people applying with 8 or 9 a*s and people applying with 6 A's and 4 B's. All of which have a chance. As for the rich kid image , there certainly is one but I think the uni is diverse and not as 'rich Kiddish' as some of the others: I had an interview at Oxford after all ! They're not all the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw thanks-what were your gcse grades and what are you hoping to study? How was the interview at Oxford btw?
Aw thanks-what were your gcse grades and what are you hoping to study? How was the interview at Oxford btw?

8 a* , 2 a and a b ... And I didn't get in but a good experience . And history and politics at Exeter ... But that's my insurance , Leeds is my firm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by chrisedgar
8 a* , 2 a and a b ... And I didn't get in but a good experience . And history and politics at Exeter ... But that's my insurance , Leeds is my firm

Posted from TSR Mobile
8?!?! 8 A*s?! Did you go to a state school out of interest? I'll be lucky if I get the 3/4 I'm hoping for haha! Yeah I can imagine it must have been-don't you have to sit an entry test for Oxford? Good luck with results by the way- I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
8?!?! 8 A*s?! Did you go to a state school out of interest? I'll be lucky if I get the 3/4 I'm hoping for haha! Yeah I can imagine it must have been-don't you have to sit an entry test for Oxford? Good luck with results by the way- I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Yeah 8 ahah, and yes I go to state school. Not grammar either. And I had to sit a history test and send in an essay. Thank you ! Hopefully, you too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my experience, Exeter gives you offers based on your predictions, so if you're predicted AAB, you're likely to get an offer of AAB.

I know people that applied for a course asking for AAA-AAB with predictions of ABB and still got an offer :smile: Although I think English is more subscribed for the geography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending