The Student Room Group

27 Year old Career change into ACA

Hi all,

The title sums it up - 27 years old and changing into ACA from my current job. I've got some reservations though; or maybe more like questions;

First, my degree is a 2:2, and I have 280 UCAS points...I was a bit (Much) more into partying than studying as a younger lad. These are minimum qualifications, but will having been in the military help me out here, as it will make me look less like I'll buckle out and waste their time?

Secondly, I'm studying the first level of the ACA in my job now, how much better will I look for having it done or mainly done by the time I apply for a training contract? If taken with 6/6 modules passed will I begin on a higher salary?

Thirdly, as the post says, though a graduate I'm 27. I'll be 28 when I apply. Will age hold me back at all?

Finally, what are the salaries in London for training contracts with non Big4 firms? I've heard 25,28,30 in each year respectively as a guide but I want to be sure (I have a mortgage. Tell your kids never to grow up!)

Thanks guys, looking for any insight anyone may have! :smile:
Original post by OctopusW
Hi all,

The title sums it up - 27 years old and changing into ACA from my current job. I've got some reservations though; or maybe more like questions;

First, my degree is a 2:2, and I have 280 UCAS points...I was a bit (Much) more into partying than studying as a younger lad. These are minimum qualifications, but will having been in the military help me out here, as it will make me look less like I'll buckle out and waste their time?

Secondly, I'm studying the first level of the ACA in my job now, how much better will I look for having it done or mainly done by the time I apply for a training contract? If taken with 6/6 modules passed will I begin on a higher salary?

Thirdly, as the post says, though a graduate I'm 27. I'll be 28 when I apply. Will age hold me back at all?

Finally, what are the salaries in London for training contracts with non Big4 firms? I've heard 25,28,30 in each year respectively as a guide but I want to be sure (I have a mortgage. Tell your kids never to grow up!)

Thanks guys, looking for any insight anyone may have! :smile:

Your 2:2 and UCAS might not matter so much (or at all) with your other experience.

If you have passed exams already it's obviously a plus as 1) you've proven you are competent when it comes to exams and 2) they won't have to pay for them (saves them several hundred quid). Not sure if you'll get a higher salary or not.

Age shouldn't be an issue.

25k starting sounds right, not sure it'll increase as much as that before qualification though. But then again every company will have a different policy so some might indeed do that.
Is your experience finance related at all? Is there any chance of you twisting your experience to be relevant for some of the experienced hire vacancies on their recruitment sites?

Are you currently in the military? You may want to look past the big 4 and look in industry, some of the US banks and financial service companies look favourably on ex-military.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. My experience isn't finance related, I really don't think I could get an experienced hire position, and if I did I would soon be found out! I think start at the beginning is the way for me in this. As to the big 4, I've heard from several sources now that training for them is more of a 'Kudos' thing than a good idea in itself...I hear that you get pigeon holed into a department, and so do a less rounded job than a training contract in a small-mid firm in which you do a bit of everything, which I would suggest is better for a learning role. Also I hear that those firms have a more collegiate learning atmosphere, however this is only what I've been told and am standing by for correction.
As to banks, I do hear Barclays in particular is keen on Ex-military types!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending