Scandium Watch

IgorYakov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my AQA textbook (Nelson Thornes) and revision guides it says Sc is not a transition metal yet when I look online and in online revision notes it says it is, was the definition of transition metals changed recently?
Zarah01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IgorYakov)
In my AQA textbook (Nelson Thornes) and revision guides it says Sc is not a transition metal yet when I look online and in online revision notes it says it is, was the definition of transition metals changed recently?
It's not a 'true' transition metal; transition metals are metals that can form ions with partially filled d subshells, scandium and zinc can't do this, so technically they aren't transition metals but they are part of the 3d block and generally all of the d block are labelled as transition metals.
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Transition metals have a partially filled d sub shell and form at least 1 ion with a incomplete d subshell (with copper and chromium being weird due to their structure for stability)

Scandium and Zinc do not do this but they are transition metals in a sense... But for your exam, Sc and Zn are he exceptions that they may ask you about,
IgorYakov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by LadyEcliptic)
Transition metals have a partially filled d sub shell and form at least 1 ion with a incomplete d subshell (with copper and chromium being weird due to their structure for stability)

Scandium and Zinc do not do this but they are transition metals in a sense... But for your exam, Sc and Zn are he exceptions that they may ask you about,
Ohh okay because on the specification it says partially filled d sub shell in atoms or ions so doesn't Sc fit that definition? Or should I still assume it isn't for the exam?
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohh okay because on the specification it says partially filled d sub shell in atoms or ions so doesn't Sc fit that definition? Or should I still assume it isn't for the exam?
If your exam board says it's not, then you learn it that way - it's also worth remembering that transition metals form coloured complexes as aqueous solutions, I don't think Sc and Zn do. But yes, as far as I've been taught they don't form at least one ion with a partially filled d sub shell, and in their element form they don't have an incomplete d sub shell (with Cr and Cu an exception due to the half filled and filled d sub shell conferring stability)
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're slightly mis-understanding what the spec. says:

know that transition metal characteristics of elements Ti – Cu arise from an incomplete d sub-level in atoms or ions

That doesn't define what one is. I haven't taught AQA for six years, but when I did, the definition was one that had an ion with an incomplete d sub-shell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%