wisdom of taking 4 A2's? Watch

Autumn Child
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
i was just wondering how people have found taking four subjects at A2 instead of dropping one? im thinking of people who are good, but not like a whizz-kid and can put a reasonable amount of time in if they want to but dont work all the time everyday but often laze around in frees and after school.

how much extra effort did you have to put in and how is it going? do you think it is going to give you much of an advantage for a course that asks AAB or ABB for example?

(oh and not general studies b'cos we dont do it ....)

Thanks
john-boro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did chemistry and English Lit when I could have just picked one of the two. Chemistry wasn't that fun, and I didn't enjoy doing it but I put in a bit of revision before the exams and came out with an unexpected A. English Lit was an easy A by comparison. I think it helped if anything since it gave me more chances to get 3As and wasn't too much more work. Although the only real benefit now is that I could feel more proud of myself on results day :p:.
Autumn Child
Rep:
?
(Original post by john-boro)
I think it helped if anything since it gave me more chances to get 3As and wasn't too much more work.

oh good point. i could keep business studies on since its quite easy.
but then i find it boring, and maybe i shold put all my extra energy into my english resits
sebyevans
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took four A Levels on the presumption that one would be taken less seriously that the others, though I didn't particularly _want_ to continue with the subject

depends how busy/ambitious you are. often having a fourth subject is a nice reassurance if you need three A grades or something
Karvel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you should just do the the 3 and drop Business and concentrate on your 3(!) resits instead...

She can't teach anyway!
Autumn Child
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karvel)
I think you should just do the the 3 and drop Business and concentrate on your 3(!) resits instead...

She can't teach anyway!

haha yeah i'll most likely do that :p:

its just mrswilde seemed to assume i was doing them all, made me think wether i should
Karvel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would've considered it if you're English went well, maybe
lucho22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm i think it was worth it...History was a right *******... - but i got through it with an unexpected A - and overall I think that I would have just wasted the frees - people say they'll use them to concentrate on their other subjects..but in general people fritter them away (plus I finished Economics early in January so If I'd have given up History I'd have had a ridiculous number of frees...)
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maths, Computing, Business, and French A-level. I don't regret it for a second. It's tougher, but if you enjoy a subject, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't continue it.

Of course, if you have a subject you hate, it might be better to leave it and move on.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've just completed 4 A-levels in sociology, French, English lit and history, and considering I got AABC, I think maybe it would have been better to drop one and just concentrate on 3, but I honestly don't think it would have made much difference. I still had time to do all my classwork and homework and revise well, I was only 4 marks off an A in English and it's not the kind of subject you can get better at just by spending more time on it and I only got a C in history because I failed 2 A2 exams, which neither me nor my teachers expected in the slightest. I'd say that if you're willing to work hard and you enjoy all your subjects, there's no harm in carrying them all on, but if you don't enjoy one or think you would struggle, you should drop it.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What do you guys think about taking 4 A2s and and AEA? I don't really know what an AEA involves, can any of you shed any light?! I was thinking of doing 4 A2s but my head of sixth form suggested 3 and an AEA - I imagine that'd be a great deal easier?

As for the OP, what are your subjects? I think it might be good because if you need 3 As, say, it gives you 4 chances to get them, it doesn't matter so much if you muck up one subject.
woody247
Report 12 years ago
I did 5 A2s (Maths, Further Maths, French, Economics and General Studies) and got all as as well as a merit in AEA Economics. It depends on what subjects u do imo if u want to do 4 A2s. For instance, all my subjects had no coursework, or any great deal of non-linearity, which made the year a lot more straightforward and successful.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Boo)
What do you guys think about taking 4 A2s and and AEA? I don't really know what an AEA involves, can any of you shed any light?! I was thinking of doing 4 A2s but my head of sixth form suggested 3 and an AEA - I imagine that'd be a great deal easier?
An AEA is just an extra 3 hour exam taken at the end of June. The whole idea of them is that you can't really prepare for them besides doing a couple of past papers, so there's hardly any extra work involved at all. I took 4 A2s and an AEA and it was really no different to taking 4 A2s, except that you had 1 more exam than everyone else.
ForumFreak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took 4 A2s and did lots of resits and it didnt seem like that much extra work. At my college we had to take 4 subjects and I didn't feel like starting something completely new. If you want to take 4 A2s then go for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads