The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If you do really well with mechanics, you could try self-studying M2 - if your school will let you miss lessons. (You can do it on the side, but it probably isn't worth it.) You could also spearhead a campaign to get them to teach M2 to the masses! :smile:

Otherwise, follow your school.
silent ninja
Can someone who has done M3 Edexcel just confirm the book is the one that has a yellow box on it stating, "ideal for 2000 specification." My college library had a different one with only 4 chapters in it as opposed to 6, so I'm just checking that I'm learning from the correct book!

When I did M3 in summer 2005 on Edexcel, I used the book you described with the yellow box but it had 5 chapters; Further Kinematics, Elastic Springs and Strings, Further Dynamics, Circular Motion and finally Statistics of Rigid Bodies.
r3m0t
If you do really well with mechanics, you could try self-studying M2 - if your school will let you miss lessons. (You can do it on the side, but it probably isn't worth it.) You could also spearhead a campaign to get them to teach M2 to the masses! :smile:

Otherwise, follow your school.

Ok thanks. :smile:
I have a demand. I want to know how to write in mathematical type on this forum.
Reply 84
Convalescent
I have a demand. I want to know how to write in mathematical type on this forum.

As do I.
El Matematico
When I did M3 in summer 2005 on Edexcel, I used the book you described with the yellow box but it had 5 chapters; Further Kinematics, Elastic Springs and Strings, Further Dynamics, Circular Motion and finally Statistics of Rigid Bodies.

Thanks.
Gotta get back to working now all the ucas stuff is out the way.
I am doing C1 C2 C3 S1 S2 M1 in Year 12, but as you can see, it does not fulfil the criteria for either Further Maths AS or Maths A level.

Can someone tell me what I will be awarded, and how universities will consder it?
You'll have an AS in maths and no AS yet in Further Maths, which is what happened to me. Unis will see that you will be doing FM too...but you'll have to do at least FP1 and FP2 to get an A Level in FM.
Reply 88
barry_4_england
but you'll have to do at least FP1 and FP2 to get an A Level in FM.

I don't think so, my teacher's chosen FP1 and FP3 (with M2, S2, D1 and D2) for our A Level Further Maths. No idea why he decided against FP2...!
Reply 89
To write stuff like exsinxdx\int\frac{e^x}{sinx}dx you have to use TeX, there are some tutorials around somewhere.
Reply 90
hey guys,

does anyone know if the trapezium rule is necesary in the new IB Maths Methods SL course
Reply 91
Piggy
I don't think so, my teacher's chosen FP1 and FP3 (with M2, S2, D1 and D2) for our A Level Further Maths. No idea why he decided against FP2...!

lol you've haven't seen fp2, have you? :p:
Reply 92
Piggy

It's because (I assume your on the same exam board as me) that FP2 has lots of new trig identities to learn. FP3 is hard but theres a lot of follow on from FP1, like complex numbers. At college we do C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,FP3,S1,S2,M1,M2,M3 and D1 just incase M3 goes horribly horribly wrong!
Reply 93
Can anyone help me with the following questions?

1) What is the maximum value of sin(x) + cos(x)?

2) p(x) = -10x^6+156x^5-945x^4+2780x^3-4080x^2+2880x.

There are two inflection points. Find them.
Aralus
1) What is the maximum value of sin(x) + cos(x)?

1)y = sinx + cosx
y' = cosx - sinx = 0 at SP's.
At a stationary point, y will be at an extreme, since asinx + bcosx can be written in the form csin(x + m)
cosx-sinx=0
cosx = sinx
x = 45 degrees. [although there are many other solutions. I got 45 degrees from a 1,1,sqrt2 triangle with angles 45,45,90 degrees]
y = sin45 + cos 45 = 1/sqrt2 + 1/sqrt2 = 2/sqrt2
= sqrt2 = maximum value.
Reply 95
This question is driving me crazy. Any soulutions would be appreciated.
Reply 96
just do F = ma for both and solve. Ill try do it for you now, havent done M1 for a while tho lol.
Reply 97
The direction of the coefficient of friction is taken as same direction of force x. Why is that so?
i have the solution but i cant figure it out.
i thought the coefficient of friction was suppose to resist force x but
it is in the same direction of force x
Reply 98
The force is a frictional force. It is opposing the tension in the string.
Reply 99
Does that apply to every situation.
coefficient of friction opposes the tension force ?

Latest