Why isn't 'Religious Studies' called 'Theology'? Watch

illiteratesoul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
...During primary and secondary education of course. I can see why 'Business Studies' is known the way it is because there isn't really a word that really covers the entire scope of Business Studies, but with Religious Studies I fail to see why it can't simply be known as 'Theology'.

One may argue that 'Theology' is too complex a word for 'children' to undersand, but look at 'Biology', looo at the word 'Chemistry'. Kids understand what 'Biology' and 'Chemistry are in due course.
illiteratesoul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
bump
MidnightDream
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They called it that at one of my brothers schools
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was because Theology is the theory behind different religions, usually the philosophical elements behind religions? Whereas Religious Studies is just a study of one particular religion, or many different ones but at a foundation level?
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me, what we were taught under the heading of "Religious Studies" was a combination of Theology and Philosophy. Though I've heard it with loads of titles before - RE, RS, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy and Ethics... It was, for the most part, essentially the same stuff (on varying levels), but with different names.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Religious Studies A-level which comes under Philosophy and Ethics where we study Philosophy of Religion (Christianity) and Religious Ethics (morality when it comes to Christianity)
emilytakesonlife
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Imo Religious Studies is more studying a range of religions today (e.g. what Muslims believe and how they live) and quite fact based. Theology is in this country much more Christianity based (although some inclusion of other major religions) and is generally the history and development of religion and is all questions. Obviously the two totally overlap and I think R.S. is just a broader term. Also applies better to younger years. Like learning that many Muslims go to Mosque, pray five times a day etc isn't really theology (which is stuff like is salvation predetermined) but religious studies xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads