The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths (Core) help! ; . ;

I'm pretty sure I have either achieved or scraped an E Grade or failed Core 1 and Core 2, I was wondering whether I could retake it during the summer by contacting the Exam Board and revising over summer. Is this possible? Am I able to pay the exam board to re-sit the exam and still move onto A2? I know where I went wrong, and made a lot of silly mistakes as I was nervous.

+influx.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by +influx
I'm pretty sure I have either achieved or scraped an E Grade or failed Core 1 and Core 2, I was wondering whether I could retake it during the summer by contacting the Exam Board and revising over summer. Is this possible? Am I able to pay the exam board to re-sit the exam and still move onto A2? I know where I went wrong, and made a lot of silly mistakes as I was nervous.

+influx.

During this summer? No. If you want to retake any AS exams, the earliest you'll be able to retake them is next summer (May/June 2015). Sorry :/
Reply 2
Would I be able to request to move onto A2 Maths and retake the AS Core 1 and Core 2 even though I have most likely failed AS Level Maths overall.
Original post by +influx
Would I be able to request to move onto A2 Maths and retake the AS Core 1 and Core 2 even though I have most likely failed AS Level Maths overall.

Technically at A-Level an E is considered a pass, it'll be more down to whether your teachers will allow you to continue with the course... the exam board will only want the money for the retakes
Original post by +influx

It depends on the school. Mine would allow you to continue, although I would question whether or not it's really a good idea to continue to A2 Maths if you really did perform that poorly at AS, since it's significantly more difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by vickyhunt
Technically at A-Level an E is considered a pass, it'll be more down to whether your teachers will allow you to continue with the course... the exam board will only want the money for the retakes

Yeah I know but let's say I have failed Maths overall, would I be able to still move onto A2 and resit the exams? I really do not want to resit and I know where I went wrong.
Original post by +influx
Yeah I know but let's say I have failed Maths overall, would I be able to still move onto A2 and resit the exams? I really do not want to resit and I know where I went wrong.

Chlorophile and vickyhunt already answered you
The examiners will allow it
Your teachers may not accept you on their a2 course if you have done that poorly at AS.
You will have to convince them that you could cope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by +influx

You will need to take C1-C4 all together next summer.

However, if you are attributing your problems to "nerves", what makes you think you'll be less nervous next summer taking even more difficult exams?

You need to have a serious talk with your teachers about whether it's a good idea to continue with Maths, and they may not give you the choice!
Some schools require a C grade minimum to continue on to A2 - ask your teacher!

Quick Reply