C5 Equilibria Watch

claudiaford
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have my Chemistry exam on Monday and I'm really struggling to understand equilibria, how conditions effect which way it shifts etc. Please can someone explain it to me as my teacher makes it seem very confusing. Thanks in advance
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by claudiaford)
I have my Chemistry exam on Monday and I'm really struggling to understand equilibria, how conditions effect which way it shifts etc. Please can someone explain it to me as my teacher makes it seem very confusing. Thanks in advance
A system is at equilibrium when the rate of the forward reaction equals the rate of the reverse reaction.

If certain conditions are changed the equilibrium is disturbed at which time the two rates are not equal.

Either the forward reaction then proceeds faster, or the reverse (depending on the change of condition), changing the concentration of reactants and products until the equilibrium condition is reestablished.

Le Chatelier gives a rule of thumb method of knowing which way the system shifts to re-establish the equilibrium.

The effect of temperature change on equilibrium
The effect of pressure change on equilibrium
ericacookies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by claudiaford)
I think we're sitting the same exam!

If it's OCR Gateway B, all you need to know is:

• Equilibrium = forward and backward reaction is at the same rate (in a closed system)
  • Increasing temperature = forces equilibrium in the ENDOthermic direction (so if forward reaction is exothermic, increasing temperature will force equilibrium left)
  • Increasing pressure = forces equilibrium to the side with less molecules
  • Adding/removing reactants/products = equilibrium will change to counteract that change, so less effect (take product away, more product made)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads