The Student Room Group

Is an Actuarial Degree better than a Mathematics and Statistics Master Degree?

the Actuarial Degree is at City University and the Maths and Statistics Masters Degree is at Queen Mary.
Better for what?
To get into Actuary? Both would be fine however would the Actuary one give you a placement year?
Original post by idil_f
the Actuarial Degree is at City University and the Maths and Statistics Masters Degree is at Queen Mary.

If you are dead certain on wanting to be an actuary then go to City. its arguably one of the best if not the best in the UK for it, and with gaining 8 exemptions it can save alot of time whilst putting ur foot through the door quickest in terms of getting a glimpse of what the actuarial profession is about. If however you are unsure but are still considering the field of finance then I'd still stick to City. There are people on this forum TSR, who did this course at the uni and have interned and recieved job offers at various investment banks such as Citi and Deutsche Bank. The name has a better reputation than QM in IB and consultancy.

In very small circumstances would I not promote a Maths degree but if finance ( or more specifically acturial work ) is where your heart lie I'd opt for City University.

My 2 cent

Quick Reply

Latest